How long is too long to let a bus run?

It's supposedly warming up - but it's 40 degrees out, so not that cold. My neighbor drives bus for our elementary school. She started her bus (which she parks right behind my house) at 1:15, and school doesn't let out until 3 so she leaves at about 2:50. Yeah, 90 minutes she let it run. Where do our school tax dollars go? Her tank, apparently.

idareyou

Asked by idareyou at 3:58 PM on Feb. 8, 2013 in Money & Work

• Can't you call somewere and complain she is waisting fuel?

Answer by louise2 at 4:05 PM on Feb. 8, 2013

• Strange!
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 4:00 PM on Feb. 8, 2013

• not sure but not that long and no need for it to have to warm up in 40 degree weather.
    virginiamama71

Answer by virginiamama71 at 4:01 PM on Feb. 8, 2013

• While it isn't that cold out, I can see the benefit of warming it up. 90 minutes does seem excessive though. 20 minutes, tops.
    hootie826

Answer by hootie826 at 4:03 PM on Feb. 8, 2013

• Not strange, as this is a regular occurance. Idk if she's that much of a wuss or what. I'm considering calling the guy in charge of busses and letting him know, but he's a douche. Trying to get FIL's input as he's also a bus driver, but he's not returning messages.
    idareyou

Comment by idareyou (original poster) at 4:04 PM on Feb. 8, 2013

• Not cool! It should warm up for no more than 20 min. You should let the bus company know. Some places have laws in place to prevent buses from idling for long periods of time. That's a noise and pollution nuisance! yuck.
    tessiedawg

Answer by tessiedawg at 4:07 PM on Feb. 8, 2013

• Wow... At 40 degress the interior would be equally warm in a half hour as in ninety minutes so I can't see why she'd bother to go out that soon and warm it. YOu really should say something. That's excessive, especially if she does it daily. I used to see one of our sheriff deputy's drive his patrol SUV to city league basketball games, lock it but leave it running the whole time he was inside playing games. Sometimes a few hours, just so he wouldn't have to get into a cold car after he was all hot and sweaty. I just loved knowing I was paying for all of that wasted gas...
    Nimue930

Answer by Nimue930 at 4:41 PM on Feb. 8, 2013

• Somewere=someoone

Answer by louise2 at 5:26 PM on Feb. 8, 2013

• There's no bus company, the school owns it's own handful of busses and has their own guy (mechanic, whatever) who oversees the maintenance, routes, etc. I did make a phone call to the school but I'm going to have to wait until next week to hear back from anyone.
    idareyou

Comment by idareyou (original poster) at 5:29 PM on Feb. 8, 2013

• Is it just sitting there running or is she doing her mandatory check on the bus. Sometimes those routine checks can last about an hour and half.

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 7:18 PM on Feb. 8, 2013