How do you know if your child has ADHD?

HeaDMuthaNdis

Asked by HeaDMuthaNdis at 3:53 PM on Feb. 14, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I believe that once your child is in school you can ask them to give your child a test that determines if your child has ADHD...I don't think you'll be able to find out if your child has ADHD until he enters school.
    bxbsmommy

Answer by bxbsmommy at 3:56 PM on Feb. 14, 2009

• At this age, you don't.

My 5 year old is being monitored for Asperger's and/or ADHD. I was told that either way not to expect a diagnosis until he was at least 6 unless he hit some EXTREME behavior.

There has to be behavior issues at home and at school (or other social settings). If you do get an evaluation, and if you are given a diagnosis right off the bat...go elsewhere. Get a second opinion.

We started the process with our oldest (the 5 year old) last spring. He's seen a developmental pediatrician and we're currently meeting with a psychologist 1-2 times a month. My husband and I are filling out questionnaires about our son, his teachers are filling them out, too....We're currently working on behavior modification and management.

TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 4:36 PM on Feb. 14, 2009

• At this age I dont think you can, toddlers by nature dont focus on one thing for very long. Maybe once they are in school and they are constantly up running around and such then you could have them tested. But a 1-2 year old is GOING to act ADD to some degree lol thats just a toddler for ya!
    SweetPea05

Answer by SweetPea05 at 5:50 PM on Feb. 14, 2009

• I'm not sure how to tell for sure if a kid has ADD, but I know how to help prevent it.

Children's brains are developing their neural patterns until the age of 6-8 years. Caffeine, Sugar, and Video Games (all things which stimulate neural activity) can cause those patterns to develop a heightened rate of speed, which makes children unable to control themselves when required to sit still or concentrate on things. I've seen several children that almost live on their gameboys, and when the gameboy is taken away, they are totally unable to sit still or focus.

I don't let my son have caffiene or sugar except on rare occasions (I buy or make everything sweetened with splenda, he doesn't know the difference.) and when he's older, will only let him play educational games, and even then, only if they don't require high speed hand/eye movements that will train his brain to function frantically like the games that most kids play now.
    Sharon7772

Answer by Sharon7772 at 11:41 PM on Feb. 14, 2009

• I agree I work in aschool & alot of kids in Kidergarden talk about is video games!!! it's crazy
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:49 AM on Feb. 15, 2009