Do you rush your kids to the pediatrician when they have a cold or do you wait it out?

My kids think I am mean when I wait for a couple of days for it to die down..they would rather miss school and see the Dr. for just a cold...NO way!

madmueller

Asked by madmueller at 4:56 PM on Feb. 8, 2013 in Kids' Health

• I usually wait at least a day to see if he is staying the same or getting worse. A lot of the time he is better within the next 24-30 hours... but if he's not getting better depending on the symptoms i take him to the doctor. (that is unless he's having diffciulty breathing or a high temp in which case he goes now)
    Becka8707

Answer by Becka8707 at 5:23 PM on Feb. 8, 2013

• I like to think I have enough experience to know when to wait when to call in or when to go in. colds are nothing.
    LilyFlair

Answer by LilyFlair at 5:07 PM on Feb. 8, 2013

• if we have a raspy chest and the doc insists we go due to many resp issues (most times they call in what is needed), if not we have meds at home on a ALL time basis for her normal allergy couch and congestion
    luvmygrandbaby

Answer by luvmygrandbaby at 5:27 PM on Feb. 8, 2013

• We don't go to the doctor for anything that can be treated at home. I always try something first.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 7:20 PM on Feb. 8, 2013

• I wait it out a few days the germs at the DR's office get me more nervous then the germs my kids already have with the cold.
    liss05

Answer by liss05 at 5:00 PM on Feb. 8, 2013

• We rarely go to the dr. Just well visits, and if they're near death lol
    funlovinlady

Answer by funlovinlady at 5:01 PM on Feb. 8, 2013

• wait it out
    LostSoul88

Answer by LostSoul88 at 5:01 PM on Feb. 8, 2013

• We usually wait it out. But over the holidays my oldest got the flu that morphed into pneumonia, which required a LOT of treatments and was quite scary. Now if there is any breathing/coughing issues we are headed to the doc right away.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 5:05 PM on Feb. 8, 2013

• I don't take them to the doctor unless they are having trouble breathing. My youngest son has some lung issues, and if something settles there, he can't breathe and has to have steroids to reduce the inflammation.
    But I always keep them home from school if they are sick because I don't want to make other kids sick and because if I push them too much when they're feeling sick and don't let them rest, the cold lasts longer.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 5:07 PM on Feb. 8, 2013

• I naw it it out unless I think there is so etching that needs medical attention, like if they have a bad sore throat and there has been talk of strep at school. Other than that I wait things out.
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 5:08 PM on Feb. 8, 2013