Do you have a pool in your back yard? Above or Inground? Is it worth it or a Pain?

Our kids are trying to talk us in to getting one and I was wondering if it's really that worth it. It would be an inground because our yard is quite large...

madmueller

Asked by madmueller at 5:21 PM on Feb. 8, 2013 in Home & Garden

• We had one for years. We had strict rules for neighborhood kids and visitors. My DH was really into the chemical monitoring, vacuuming, etc. If it had not been for that we would not have had one.
    silverthreads

Answer by silverthreads at 7:25 PM on Feb. 8, 2013

• No we do not. I do not think it would be good for resale value.

Answer by louise2 at 5:23 PM on Feb. 8, 2013

• When it comes to buying or even renting a house for me no pool, Water expense, heating , cleaning and the danger of someone drowning in it, kids will jump your fence to use it. The most I would have is a hot tub even then a saw a story of a bear using it.
    sunshine196

Answer by sunshine196 at 5:30 PM on Feb. 8, 2013

• We have a pool. I love it, we don't have anyone jumping fences to get to it.
    funlovinlady

Answer by funlovinlady at 5:39 PM on Feb. 8, 2013

• I used to rent a place with a hot tub
    it had a funky filter so we had to drain and clean on a regular basis
    even with all that- We loved it!
    feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 5:48 PM on Feb. 8, 2013

• If you want one go for it. I just not a pool type
    sunshine196

Answer by sunshine196 at 5:56 PM on Feb. 8, 2013

• As fll said, they are a lot of fun, but you still have to worry about everyone else in the neighborhood. I had a 5 ft. set up at our old house. It was fenced. The neighbors, however didn't believe in watching their own children, so.... I had to constantly deal with the other kids. I got to the point where I was nervous leaving my house out of fear that one of the little ones would get in and drowned. At that point, I decided it wasn't worth it. If their kid drowned, I could be in trouble. Not worth it to me.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 6:28 PM on Feb. 8, 2013

• We have a pool and a hot tub at the condo complex where we live. It's wonderful to run over there in the summer, even for a half an hour at a time, instead of planning a half a day at the local water park or the rec center. Even with tat, I would hate to have to maintain the pool. The chemicals can cost hundreds of dollars over a single summer, from what the statements show has been paid by our HOA, and quite often frogs or mice have drowned in the water so that it has to be drained and refilled. Between that and the liability, which will raise your homeowners' insurance rates, it's far less expensive to send your kids to the city facilities. There have been stories about kids, mail carriers, ec, diving into backyard pools and suing the homeowners when they break their stupid necks.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 6:31 PM on Feb. 8, 2013

• No, but I have a sinkhole in my front yard. Does that count??
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 7:00 PM on Feb. 8, 2013

• I wish I had a pool.
    alf2651

Answer by alf2651 at 7:57 PM on Feb. 8, 2013