All-Day Kindergarten

Have any of you sent your children to all-day kindergarten? Do you think the benefit of added educational opportunities would be worth paying $2700 in tuition costs?

I'm in the process of enrolling my daughter in kindergarten. She can go for the traditional half day, which is about three hours, at no cost. There's an all-day option available with an annual tuition of $2700, which can be split up into ten monthly payments. So basically, she would be getting fifteen extra hours of school a week at the same price Ive been paying for eight hours of preschool during the last year and a half. It's tight, but I can afford the payments. I'm just wondering if it would be a worthwhile expense, or how to figure out if it would be worthwhile.

Ballad

Asked by Ballad at 6:43 PM on Feb. 8, 2013 in

• Because kindergarten is not a required grade in WA, I was looking at the same thing with my kids. The district we were in when my son started wanted $3,500 in tuition, paid by the quarter. We qualified for low income scholarship though, so paid nothing. The district we we're in now wanted $2,500 in tuition, does not have scholarships unless you're tribal, and was a pain in the ass to register.

My son got to go to all day. It was one of the best things for him. My daughter is stuck in half day, and I WISH she was in all day.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 7:52 PM on Feb. 8, 2013

• im confused, i guess you're obviously referring to private school K? my kid goes to public school K (6 hours a day) and its free.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 6:45 PM on Feb. 8, 2013

• I too have heard of it. I subbed and did my share of kindergarden. There is at least 1 hour in nap time. Some have longer ones . Thake that into consideration.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 7:08 PM on Feb. 8, 2013

• "Is it a private school? I'm assuming so because I've never heard of tuition for full day kinder...."

- a lot of public schools are adding the full day option... and it does cost extra... they call it a "Tuition Based" full day program. They can get away with charging b/c Kindergarten is not mandatory here in MA anyway.

"Do you think the benefit of added educational opportunities would be worth paying $2700 in tuition costs?" - Absolutely!!!

I would have sent my kids to the full day program but it wasn't an option until the year after they were past it. Would have cost us $3000

Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 7:08 PM on Feb. 8, 2013

• I would ask the school if the kids who go to half day and full day, graduate the same. If they do. I would sends half day. Unless you need her to go full day to use it like daycare. If you work I mean.

Answer by louise2 at 7:10 PM on Feb. 8, 2013

• Down here it is full day. No options.

Answer by louise2 at 7:11 PM on Feb. 8, 2013

• Wow Crafty. I had no clue. I guess I've just never come across that. In MN it was free full day. I suppose it makes sense with budget cuts and such.
    Mrs_Prissy

Answer by Mrs_Prissy at 7:16 PM on Feb. 8, 2013

• we pay for full day k now at a private school and it is only 1500 so no way Id pay that to add a half day to the mix
    luvmygrandbaby

Answer by luvmygrandbaby at 7:21 PM on Feb. 8, 2013

• Where I am the kindergarten is full day, no options. And that's at the public schools.
    alf2651

Answer by alf2651 at 7:54 PM on Feb. 8, 2013

• They changed all the kindergartens around here to full days. Honestly, I was so scared when the oldest granddaughter started, but she did just fine. She actually fell asleep everyday for the first week though. The other granddaughter will be starting this fall and will also go a full day. I guarantee you she will fall asleep too.

I don't think it hurts them one way or another.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 8:03 PM on Feb. 8, 2013