Are you terrified of the dentist?

i am. i was in so much pain today from my wisdom tooth that i went to the nearest oral surgeon. if IM going to the dentist then that means im in ALOT of pain. well come to find out i need both the top & bottom wisdom teeth pulled. it requires nothing more than a quick novocaine shot, some laughing gas & a quick grab (no cutting or surgery involved) but i was actually thankful that the cost would've been $600 and i had to decline. as i was laying in the chair the thought of being tied down to it while they were poking and prodding in my mouth was giving me the worst anxiety. and IVE HAD A TOOTH PULLED BEFORE! so i shouldn't be this scared. i know what to expect. granted, it took ALOT for me to get through it the first time, i actually almost had it done twice and kept walking out before they did it. third time was a charm because i finally ended up doing it and i remember how easy and painless it was and how good i felt after. i just wish all of that could override my anxiety about the dentist. :( now i need to shop around for oral surgeons that take my insurance so i can get it done!

tnm786

Asked by tnm786 at 6:54 PM on Feb. 8, 2013 in Health

• I've had a lot of dental work done and thought I really wasn't afraid anymore. Until last year when I broke my tooth and discovered, I didn't care much for them at all. This particular dentist I went to was pretty scary though. He was all into the "worst case scenerio". He liked to stress to me that because I drank Red Bulls and liked soda that my teeth were "burnt" and that anesthesia would probably NOT work on me because of such. It was BS. I was just fine.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 6:57 PM on Feb. 8, 2013

• No. My dentist is a very nice man. I don't especially like the pain that goes along with my visits to him, but I'm not at all afraid of him.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 6:57 PM on Feb. 8, 2013

• Nope I am not I just spent a short while the getting four( the bridge and connecting teeth and on other out)
    20 minutes start to finish
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 7:01 PM on Feb. 8, 2013

• pretty much yes

right up there with spiders
    and sever storms
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 7:03 PM on Feb. 8, 2013

• No. I have been going to the dentist since I was a small child. While I didn't have my first cavity until I was 33, I had several oral surgeries before, my first being at age 3.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 7:06 PM on Feb. 8, 2013

• I used to like the dentist. Now, yes, I hate the dentist because I have so many dental problems and my teeth hurt so badly that it feels like they are stabbing the shit out of me if they touch my teeth wrong or hit me with the cold water.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 7:08 PM on Feb. 8, 2013

• I'm terrified. I only go when I'm in pain. When I was told I would be conscious during the pulling of my 4 wisdom teeth, I actually cried. Thankfully I was completely alone and able to compose myself before someone walked back in.

Is there some type of payment plan they could do?
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 7:09 PM on Feb. 8, 2013

• terrified? no

but I would not put it on the list of things I like!
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 7:11 PM on Feb. 8, 2013

• Terrified. YES! I will only go to one dentist and have for the past 20 yrs. He knows my fears and works with me through my anxiety. Years ago I had panic attacks and made my kids go in first! lol My fears stem from bad childhood experiences at the dentist office.

Answer by admckenzie at 7:19 PM on Feb. 8, 2013

• thats awesome ad. the one that i went to 3 years ago for the 1st wisdom tooth extraction was pretty cool too. he talked me through everything and eased some of my anxieties. thats probably another reason why i am so anxious is because it's a different dentist's office so it wont be the same experience. fear of the unknown...
    tnm786

Comment by tnm786 (original poster) at 7:27 PM on Feb. 8, 2013