Have you ever had cavities filled?

the dentist i saw today told me that i need mine filled. he was really adamant about it, so im guessing mine must be pretty bad. ive never had a cavity filled before, is it painful? is the process quick or drawn out?

tnm786

Asked by tnm786 at 7:03 PM on Feb. 8, 2013 in Health

• I didn't have my first cavity until I was 33. It wasn't bad at all.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 7:05 PM on Feb. 8, 2013

• I've had a bunch of dental work done. For me, the worst part is the shot the doc gives to numb the area, but it's pretty much just a sting and it's over.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 7:05 PM on Feb. 8, 2013

• Yeah, I have and it's not that big of a deal. I mean, its not a ton of fun but it's nothing to freak out about.
    Nimue930

Answer by Nimue930 at 7:06 PM on Feb. 8, 2013

• I was fine until after my last pregnancy, when I went from never having a filling to having 10 fillings for cavities and cracked teeth. It's only bad when a tooth has been filled more than once.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 7:07 PM on Feb. 8, 2013

• yep all of my molars are filled
    i have had them filled any where from 30 years ago to about 5 years ago
    the new technology is great the last couple of ones i had done (and a repair to replace half a molar) were so easy peasy i fell asleep in the chair
    feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 7:07 PM on Feb. 8, 2013

• that's just it JJK! mine are most likely a result from 3 pregnancies and 10 years of smoking (stopped 2 years ago though) and i know once you get a cavity the only way to fix it is a filling. i have ALOT of them too :(
    tnm786

Comment by tnm786 (original poster) at 7:08 PM on Feb. 8, 2013

• depends how bad it is- the last one I had done-they didn't give me any shot or anything- just did it and it was fine
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 7:09 PM on Feb. 8, 2013

• I just had my third cavity filled a few days ago. It wouldn't be in my top ten things to do on a boring winter day, but it wasn't that bad. Just make sure that if the first shot of anesthetic doesn't numb you all the way, you let the dentist know, and he'll give you some more. And if you get any debris from the drilling in your mouth, push it out with your tongue and the assistant will suction it away and give you a rinse with water. Oh, and put Vaseline on your lips often for a day or two before you go, and also right when you get to the dentist, so you don't get chapped while the work is done. Then take it easy for a while so you don't bite your numb lip if you eat something, and stick with soft foods for the first half day or so. You'll do fine. I think the whole thing took me between an hour and an hour and a half, and I didn't have pain oncethe anesthetic wore off.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 7:12 PM on Feb. 8, 2013

• Mine were caused from a medication I had to be on during my pregnancy that sucked all the calcium out of my teeth and bones.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 7:13 PM on Feb. 8, 2013

• its too bad that you cant just increase your calcium intake to get rid of the cavity. if lack of calcium causes them then damnit lots of calcium should treat them lol!
    tnm786

Comment by tnm786 (original poster) at 7:15 PM on Feb. 8, 2013