My six year old is becoming obsessed with the way her heart beats.

And I feel awful because I remember being the same way as a kid. Always anxious, worrying. It didn't really begin to affect my daily life up until a few years ago, but I would hate for it to become a disorder for her like it has with me.

It started last week, while she was running outside with her friend. She stopped and put her hand over heart and said it's "beeping" really fast, but shrugged it off and kept running. Then I noticed all throughout the rest of that night she'd stop and put her hand over her heart to feel it, and even came downstairs once crying because it was beating so fast. I got her to calm down and sleep but now everyday I'll see her randomly put her hand over heart, and a few times she'll tell me it's beating fast.

I am glad that she's open with me because maybe I can help her get a handle on her anxiety now before it manifests beyond her control. Does anyone else having anxious little ones? How do you help them cope?

tnm786

Asked by tnm786 at 8:31 PM on Feb. 8, 2013 in Kids' Health

• Oh, my five year old granddaughter was just going through that too. Every time she laid down, she would say something about hearing her heart beat in her ear. LOL! My daughter did ask the Dr. and she checked her out.... She is fine. I think it's just that they start noticing those things now. Just be sure to ask her Dr. to make sure.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 8:33 PM on Feb. 8, 2013

• does she know what causes her heart to beat fast?
    activity, the cute boy, excitement

i may try letting her know positives about why its happening
    it could be a simple biology lesson
    who knows you could have a budding cardiologist on your hands
    feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 8:35 PM on Feb. 8, 2013

• the thing is, she's always so concerned about it. it scares her.
    tnm786

Comment by tnm786 (original poster) at 8:38 PM on Feb. 8, 2013

• but i will definitely try the positives next time i see her checking her heartrate lol!
    tnm786

Comment by tnm786 (original poster) at 8:39 PM on Feb. 8, 2013

• Tell her that a persons heart beats about 3 billion times in a lifetime. Show her some examples of things that are 3 billion and how far they would reach...to the moon and back X amount of times, etc. then show her where she is at with only being six and how young her heart is....it's got billions of beats left!
    Nimue930

Answer by Nimue930 at 8:44 PM on Feb. 8, 2013