37 + weeks and going on a long trip....

I just don't know what to do. My father is in ICU and is in critical condition and I feel like I need to go home and say my goodbye before it is too late. My dad is the reason I am tthe womanI am today and I don't think I could live with myself if I am not there. My parents live in KY and right now we are in NJ. So we are looking at a 10 hour trip if not more. I called my Dr and she said if I feel like I should go then go but to make sure I am taking care of myself in the process. I guess I am just looking for words of encouragment or maybe a little bit of bashing. At this moment I really don't care. I just need someone to talk to. I feel like I am going crazy and I know I am stressed out cause I can feel my daughter doing flips. I just wanted him to get to see her before he left but now I don't think that is going to happen.

lelandsmom6707

Asked by lelandsmom6707 at 3:58 PM on Feb. 14, 2009 in Pregnancy

• trust me go in the end you will just beat your self up if you don't go and something bad where too happen its hard being so far away from family it such hard times
    Anonymous

• I think if you think you should go then go. I don't know why anyone would bash you for wanting to say good by to your dad. Go it sounds like you would regret it if you didn't get to see him.
    pinkbutterfly

Answer by pinkbutterfly at 4:03 PM on Feb. 14, 2009

• if you go, just make sure to rotate your feet around while you are sitting in the car, to keep the circulation going, i would leave at night when it is easier for you to sleep, (i am assuming someone else will be driving?) take breaks as often as you feel, when i traveled, in my 35th week, we stopped every two hours, so i could walk a bit, for maybe 5 minutes or so. bring a couple of pillows, and something to prop your feet up a bit also, and drink plenty of water so you don't dehydrate. i encourage you to go, because you never know what might happen, so i support you all the way!!
    december911

Answer by december911 at 4:04 PM on Feb. 14, 2009

• Also check with you insurance. Some will not pay if you do not have drs approval before you leave should you go into labor.
    Soniam301

Answer by Soniam301 at 4:07 PM on Feb. 14, 2009

• By all means go. You will not regret it. You do need to stop and walk every 2 hours, make sure and stay hydrated, and take pee breaks. But go, for your own peace of mind. You will feel better.
    haroldswife

Answer by haroldswife at 4:13 PM on Feb. 14, 2009

• I agree with the others. Make sure you have a cell phone and absolutely have someone else drive. Take frequent breaks, drink lots of water, and try to relax as much as you can.
    SamanthaAgain

Answer by SamanthaAgain at 4:20 PM on Feb. 14, 2009

• id say go you'll regret it if you dont if something were to happen to him..it could be the last time you might see him.it will be worth the trip..
    Anonymous

• Go, go, go. I never got to say goodbye to my mom and tell her one last time that I love her and it is my one big regret. Plan your route so if something does happen you know where hospitals are, take lots of breaks (your bladder will probably make you anyway). It sounds like your Dr is understanding and not totally against the idea, Of course ideally you wouldn't have to travel now, but saying goodbye to your father is important.
    canadianmom1974

Answer by canadianmom1974 at 5:23 PM on Feb. 14, 2009

• I flew to Vegas for the weekend when I was 36 weeks. My dr said it was ok. I personally don't see any reason not to go, just quit stressin' so your daughter won't be affected; they grow alot during the last month.
    idomatter

Answer by idomatter at 6:08 PM on Feb. 14, 2009