The new Monopoly piece will be ...

Meow!

Cat Wins ‘Monopoly’ Of Votes As New Board Game Piece; Iron Gets Flattened
A NEW PARADIGM

By Elizabeth C.

IN AN ANNOUNCEMENT THAT SURPRISES NO ONE WHO PLAYS ON THE INTERNET, THE CAT WINS Hasbro’s online voting to determine Monopoly’s new game piece. (NPR slyly points out that neither Goyte nor bacon cupcakes were options.)

Out is the silly old iron — who uses that appliance anymore? In is the Internet fans’ favorite, the feline.

“It’s probably not surprising that the cat won,” Wall Street Journal‘s George Stahl said this morning on the Markets Hub, “given how popular cat videos are on YouTube.”

The maker of the iconic board game last month asked players to vote on which of the game’s eight tokens should be retired — as well as to select a new token from among a cat, a toy robot, guitar, helicopter and diamond ring.

Thirty-one percent of voters in 185 countries choose a cat to replace the iron, which proved to be less popular than the race car, top hat, wheelbarrow, battleship, shoe, thimble and Scottie dog. The appliance will be retired in new versions of the game to be released later this year.

In an nterview with NPR, the resigned iron mumbled that “people just don’t appreciate a starched shirt collar anymore.” But it was optimistic about its immediate future: a pilot on Fox. “It’s called Flat Broke, and Ryan Murphy is producing it. …I play an iron.”

The Wall Street Journal reports that Hasbro hopes the contest spurs renewed interest in the classic board game. “Its mainstay products, like Monopoly, are suffering from all the products out there competing for kids’ (and adults) attention,” the paper reported.

Ballad

Asked by Ballad at 11:03 PM on Feb. 8, 2013 in Just for Fun

• Hey manders! I LOVE the iron! LOL
    I wanted the boot to disappear and the helicopter brought in.
    PMSMom10

Answer by PMSMom10 at 12:45 AM on Feb. 9, 2013

•   Because you knew I had to.

m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 11:11 PM on Feb. 8, 2013

• I liked the robot.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 11:58 PM on Feb. 8, 2013

• I was so surprised they would actually put a cat! I still liked the iron..
    madmueller

Answer by madmueller at 11:05 PM on Feb. 8, 2013

• link please heard of this but never saw any of it thanks

http://www.cafemom.com/answers/1318593/Monopoly_Cat_beat_the_Iron

NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 11:17 PM on Feb. 8, 2013

• did like the iron or ring
    sunshine196

Answer by sunshine196 at 11:23 PM on Feb. 8, 2013

• i think it was all those lonely crazy cat ladies voting it up, plus the internet has a strange love affair with cats. but yeah, no body ever wanted to be the iron...so boring.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 11:38 PM on Feb. 8, 2013

• I can't believe out of all the new stuff they picked a freaking cat! UGH, so disappointed.
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 8:40 AM on Feb. 9, 2013

• link please
    heard of this but never saw any of it
    thanks
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 11:07 PM on Feb. 8, 2013

• I am not happy about that cat.
    booklover545

Answer by booklover545 at 2:27 PM on Feb. 9, 2013