Have you applied for scholarships for your child? Any suggestions?

madmueller

Asked by madmueller at 12:00 AM on Feb. 9, 2013 in Teens (13-17)

• Check your public library. There's a book updated annually--or it may be computerized by now; it's been ages since I went through it. It lists thousands of little-known scholarships from all over the country. Many of them are small, with obscure groups who qualify, but they add up. Some are based on race or religion, some are for students going into certain fields, I even found one years ago that was only for people with the last name Gatlin or Gatling. Tailor the application essay to each scholarship. Have your child work up a list of his strengths, best qualities, and justify them with examples. Find an angle that makes his essay stand out. Has he moved many times as a kid and had to get good at meeting people? Has he been abroad? Helped someone make it through cancer? Panned for gold in Alaska? It's a lot of work, but it can pay off. I got most of my first undergrad degree paid for without using student loans.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 3:11 AM on Feb. 9, 2013

• if at all possible check into them a year or two before they are due so kid has time to meet requirements
    i.e. community service
    feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 12:01 AM on Feb. 9, 2013

• All the scholarships I have ever heard of, the applicant is supposed to fill out the request. Same goes for applications for admittance to schools. (after high school)
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 12:08 AM on Feb. 9, 2013

• and apply for everything because many will have guidelines that no one meets so they give out the money anyways
    feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 12:40 AM on Feb. 9, 2013

• When my son was applying for college, he asked to be considered for any scholarships the school offered. He was applying for music, so he also auditioned for music scholarships. 5 of the 6 colleges he applied for offered him scholarships. The one he chose offered him the best music scholarship they give, and another smaller one too. It will end up paying for about half of the tuition costs.

musicmaker

Answer by musicmaker at 12:54 AM on Feb. 9, 2013

• Our son informed me this week that he's joining the Navy after high school.. He's only in the 10th grade so that could change, but he seems to have a plan.
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 1:01 AM on Feb. 9, 2013

• No. They aren't there yet but at that point they need to be taking the initiative to find and fill out the scholarship applications. I will help them but I won't do it for them.

Answer by missanc at 1:31 PM on Feb. 10, 2013