ABCMouse.com

Have any of you used this Web site for your kids? How has it worked for them? Is it worth the money? How much supervision does a child need when using the site?

Ballad

Asked by Ballad at 2:10 AM on Feb. 9, 2013 in General Parenting

• i let mine play Starfall.com and it's free. i would let them play abcmouse.com if it was free too! but im not paying for it.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 9:47 AM on Feb. 9, 2013

• I refused to pay for it after finding Starfall.com, ABCya.com and Coolmath.com

I had asked this same question last year and had those sites recommended to me but no one had used the ABCMouse... I will be interested to see if anyone has tried it now.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 8:32 AM on Feb. 9, 2013

• I would not let my child use the internet because if you dont have pop op protection then you never know what they could be getting into or if they push a wrong button then there is the possibility of them deleting everything or downloading viruses and so on and so forth. I believe one on one learning with you child is the best and plus you dont want them to start to get dependent on technology for everything.
    Im-HiDdEn

Answer by Im-HiDdEn at 9:00 AM on Feb. 9, 2013

• We did it awhile back for a free trail run. Kids loved it. She still asks to play it.
    PandaGwen

Answer by PandaGwen at 10:12 AM on Feb. 9, 2013

• Sorry to derail for a second but I wanted to respond to Im-HiDdEn for a second.

The concerns you stated are real but adult supervision while using the internet prevents the VAST majority of them. One on one learning is a great thing! But the world is becoming more and more technological which means the fluency of internet navigation, typing skills and internet etiquette and safety are necessity. These are skills and lessons you can start teaching your child at a young age. It doesn't mean the child spends 1/2 the day using technology. Plus the thing about most education websites is that they really aren't a substitute for one on one learning. They require adult assistance to grasp a concept and then the games help them practice the skill. You can have one on one learning that involves the internet.
    Anonymous