TV Commercials

I try to limit my daughter's TV viewing, especially on channels where there are a lot of commercials. But when she happens to see them, she wants at least every other toy that pops up. She's even taken to wanting things like Oxyclean, a pet sitter from Care.com, and Pediasure because she sees them on the ads, especially with her birthday coming up. Have any of you found strategies to make your kids realize they don't need, and can't have, everything they see on TV? The 'gimmes' are getting annoying.

Ballad

Asked by Ballad at 4:06 AM on Feb. 9, 2013 in General Parenting

• DS went through that for a while, he is much better about it now, but he still loves commercials. He even quoted one at his friend the other day and used it appropriately. It was hysterical. He gets worse around Christmas and his birthday since he is making lists of stuff he wants anyway. The rest of the year he is pretty good about not asking for everything he sees on tv. I just let him know (a few times until he finally got it) that he wasn't going to get most of the crap he saw on TV and that most of it was crap. He shouldn't ask for things all the time, but be grateful for what he already had. It got to the point where if he asked for something he had seen on TV I asked him which toy he already had was he willing to give up.
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 8:23 AM on Feb. 9, 2013

• Ha ha I thought this question was going a different direction. My complaint about commercials - my oldest while watching tv. Exclaimed that she finally realized what the "enzite" (don't know if I spelled that correctly) the male enhancement pills were for. She was sorta proud of herself, I think. Anyhow, that creepy smiling guy.
    I've let my kids save their allowance and buy something off the wall like a cleaning supply - they resize quickly their money was a wasted.
    And I think, it's just a phase all kids are impressed by commercials - we've all seem something "as advertised, bought it & it was a piece of trash, waste of money my last one was the Ez-egg thing. Make hard boiled eggs without the shells - what a mess. Lol
    SassySue123

Answer by SassySue123 at 7:29 AM on Feb. 9, 2013

• Oh, I hear ya! I think I will have to check back & see what others suggest, b/c we are going thru the same thing right now w/ our 10 y/o. She has a Bday coming up too & the list keeps growing!
    We do have frequent discussions about being grateful for what you have & that being on a tight budget means having to say "No" sometimes. I told her we are doing our best, & that many children don't have the things we have, like a nice warm home, food in the cupboards & fridge & toys up the wazoo. Repeat as necessary :p
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 6:20 AM on Feb. 9, 2013

• We just kept saying NO! Sometimes it worked, other times, not so much. *shrug* I think it's just a stage, but I can't remember how long it lasts. Although mine never wanted cleaning products, just the toys and video game systems.
    SpiritedWitch

Answer by SpiritedWitch at 8:30 AM on Feb. 9, 2013

• No tv helps. Avoiding it altogether has so many important benefits. But it is possible to show commercial-free programming, as well.
    GL!
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 8:55 AM on Feb. 9, 2013

• All kids are thetat age and you just need to explain to her that she needs to make a list of five or less tiems thatshe really wants. No matter what they are get them for her even if it be aoxyclean. By her next birthday she will have a better judgement and no more about what she asks for she is going to get and it better be something she really wants.
    Im-HiDdEn

Answer by Im-HiDdEn at 8:58 AM on Feb. 9, 2013

• We avoid all television. But advertisers are smart. The movie or cartoon often is the product. We do not have television with the exception of Netflicks and DVD's we buy. We do the iPod in the car or CD's to cut down on commercials he can hear. We stay away from the toy section in Target. We make a list prior to entering the stores and rehearse what we a to get verbally as a gentle reminder no toys will be bought this trip. We tell him which holiday is around the corner and to make a wish list. Occasionally he gets to go to a toy store or book store specifically to buy what he wants and can afford with whatever money was given to him by his grandparents. And we have discussed why I am not a an of advertisements. We also talk about those products placed at eye level in the grocery store and why it is placed there.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 6:04 PM on Feb. 9, 2013

• Making room for wanting helps me the most. I just had to realize that it is not wrong to want, or to wish (and that there's not really a threshold for what's appropriate, after which more wanting is "inappropriate," lol.) Also that her wanting didn't imply that it "should" happen, or that I "should" provide. The 2 are not linked.
    Similarly, disappointment is OK! (Including the expression of feelings of disappointment.)
    Making room for feelings of wanting, wishing, desiring, and disappointment without attaching a lot of meaning (generally negative) to them or interpreting them as things I had to "answer" (or things that obligated me in some way) helped dramatically.
    Pushing against those feelings/their expression is a kind of resistance that invalidates the feelings & triggers counter-resistance (in addition to a defensive/reactive over-focus) in the child.

Separately, I've observed things about advertising manipulation aloud.
    girlwithC

Answer by girlwithC at 3:15 PM on Feb. 10, 2013