You know his name wasn't really "Jesus Christ", right?

Asked by MamaK88 at 9:15 AM on Feb. 9, 2013 in Religious Debate

• "Christ" means "anointed one." By the traditions of the time, he would have been called Jesus bin Joseph, or perhaps Jesus bar Joseph.

Answer by Ballad at 2:10 PM on Feb. 9, 2013

• Woosh

Answer by NotPanicking at 2:26 PM on Feb. 9, 2013

• ^^^^laughing

Answer by tnm786 at 2:46 PM on Feb. 9, 2013

• i love the Boston-cap boy's stuff!

side note...does anyone remember the CMer whose wasnt suppose to call him Jesus? she had to use all the Hebrew names for Jesus & God and had some other different beliefs. i cant remember her screen name...

Answer by okmanders at 3:01 PM on Feb. 9, 2013

• embarrassedI guess I couldn't help myself from digging into it! Hopefully someone will find it interesting!

Answer by deedee3849 at 3:12 PM on Feb. 9, 2013

• I consider blasphemy because that's the name I use when praying. I do realize that this wasn't the actual name Jesus went by. However if someone else feels differently that's their business.

That was interesting DeeDee.

Answer by RyansMom001 at 3:49 PM on Feb. 9, 2013

• Right.  Love this!

And "Christ" is a title, rather than a surname.  So, if I were to "use the lord's name in vain", I'd have to say, Jesus THE Christ.  But I don't.  He was never my lord, and he certainly isn't my christ.  For that matter, he isn't even a Superstar, in my books.

Answer by jsbenkert at 7:39 PM on Feb. 9, 2013

• I thought everyone knew that's not a name. Jesus, as the OP said is from the Greek spelling and pronunciation of "Yeshua", which is Joshua in English. "Christ" is from the Greek "Christos", which means "anointed one", referring to the Jewish Messiah, which Jesus' followers promoted he was.

Answer by momto2boys973 at 9:06 PM on Feb. 9, 2013

• I thought it was jesusfuckingchrist! Like a run on sentence:)

Answer by sahmamax2 at 8:27 AM on Feb. 10, 2013

• jesus is the son of god who is jehovah

Answer by lawla at 10:22 AM on Feb. 19, 2013