Why is CA so broke?

If California is home to most of the wealthiest people in the US, why is the state broke? There MUST be plenty of money from taxes, especially from the massive amount of wealthy places and people in CA. I really do not understand how this happens. Obviously, the social programs are a drain on the State.

your thoughts...

thundernlight

Asked by thundernlight at 4:21 PM on Feb. 14, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• California is also full of poverty and people who spend like they're rich and can't cover their debt. Beverly Hills does not equal California.
    SamanthaAgain

Answer by SamanthaAgain at 4:23 PM on Feb. 14, 2009

• Two words - Octo Mom.
    Anonymous

• Oh gimme a break anon, they were broke b4 her kids came along. Grow up
    Anonymous

• lol yeah octomom broke the CA bank :p
    aliciatron

Answer by aliciatron at 4:26 PM on Feb. 14, 2009

• Wow, touchy, it was a joke.
    Anonymous

• I'm curious too, why is CA broke? They have sales tax and don't they have income taxes? How can they possibly be broke?
    SheriSanchez

Answer by SheriSanchez at 4:46 PM on Feb. 14, 2009

• I live here and I have no idea. Alot of people blame the large # of illegals getting state # and/or not paying taxes. But that is only a small part of the problem I'm sure.
    trippyhippy

Answer by trippyhippy at 4:59 PM on Feb. 14, 2009

• How do the illegals get state dollars if they don't have social security numbers
    SheriSanchez

Answer by SheriSanchez at 5:05 PM on Feb. 14, 2009

• Econ is not my forte' but as a Cali native I have tried to keep up with the issues we have. 1. Our Constitution requires the voters input on many measures, like bonds. This is great in theory but the average person doesn't know the impact of some of these things  2. I don't think they are the whole problem but illegals do cost.

Friday

Answer by Friday at 5:18 PM on Feb. 14, 2009

• 3. Arnie's special election on his 4 measures that failed costing $70-80 million didn't help.   4. Our state legislature got spending happy during the dot com and real estate bubbles and haven't adjusted back down now that revenues are down          

Friday