How often do you run your washing machine's self cleaning option?

im sure the frequency with which you do laundry is a factor here also. it's me and three kids, and i do laundry every 2-3 days, by then we've accumulated 3-5 loads. admittedly i didn't even know my washing machine had that option until a couple of months ago, and ive only ran it once since i found out. should i do it monthly, bi weekly?

tnm786

Asked by tnm786 at 10:26 AM on Feb. 9, 2013 in Home & Garden

• This is a new one to me..I never knew there was that option..but then again, maybe I have old washers? I still can't figure out how to get the dryer buzzer to lower the sound blast!
    madmueller

Answer by madmueller at 10:30 AM on Feb. 9, 2013

• My washing machine doesn't have that option. I have never actually cleaned it out. If there were a funky smell I would, but there just isn't. My machine is around 8 years old already, and its toploading, if that makes a difference.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 10:38 AM on Feb. 9, 2013

• I don't even know if mine does that or not. Now I am going to have to go look. And you reminded me I have clothes in there. Thanks!
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 10:40 AM on Feb. 9, 2013

• lol! well mine is an HE front loading washer, so that might be why.
    tnm786

Comment by tnm786 (original poster) at 10:43 AM on Feb. 9, 2013

• Usually once a week or so. I have a top loader LG HE and it can get stinky if I don't. I use the tide washing machine cleaner stuff but I'm sure there are cheaper ways. I'm not big on the smell of vinegar so I choose to pay for the Tide.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 11:02 AM on Feb. 9, 2013

• I do not have that option on mine. But if I did. I would at least once a month.

Answer by louise2 at 1:35 PM on Feb. 9, 2013

• My washer is from 1980 and quite frankly I pray every time I use it that it will last for one more load, one more load, one more load....
    PartyGalAnne

Answer by PartyGalAnne at 3:00 PM on Feb. 9, 2013

• Mine doesn't have a self clean option.
    idareyou

Answer by idareyou at 7:48 PM on Feb. 9, 2013

• I didn't know there was such an option ~
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 5:00 PM on Feb. 11, 2013

• I don't have that option.
    booklover545

Answer by booklover545 at 6:19 AM on Feb. 12, 2013