ADHD

at what age can your child be tested for adhd/add? And what are some signs that come with it? i've been reading different things about it. Im thinking my son could possibly be adhd

TatymMommi

Asked by TatymMommi at 3:42 PM on Feb. 9, 2013 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I had my son tested at the age of four (but was within a few months of turning 5). I would not go to his pediatrician though. It's best to go to a psychologist or a children's behavioral specialist.

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 3:44 PM on Feb. 9, 2013

• I have no idea but you read my mind. I was coming back on to ask this. I think my SS has ADHD, this is a website I found below. My SS meets almost everyone of them.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/adhd/DS00275/DSECTION=symptoms

LostSoul88

Answer by LostSoul88 at 3:46 PM on Feb. 9, 2013

• When we had my stepson tested, it was because of his impulsive behaviors and his meltdowns whenever there was a change in his routine.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 3:50 PM on Feb. 9, 2013

• Typically, they prefer a child to be in school, because one of the key criteria to determine it's ADHD is that it occurs at both home and school - if it only occurs in one of those places, it's possible it could be bad parenting or a poor teacher. At least, that was how the doctors my kids saw explained it.

So, if it were me, I would try to wait until the child is in school. I also agree with amandajoy21 that some of what you described in the last response you made sounds like it could also be attention seeking. Is the behavior new, or has he always been this way? If it's a new, sudden development, I would think that maybe it's something else.

Regardless, good luck!
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 4:33 PM on Feb. 9, 2013

• my son is a terror at home... and when something is thrown outta his routine, he throws a fit like the world is ending, around strangers as most kids are though he is a really shy boy, but around people he knows like at school and around family he does things that he knows he is not supposed (and has been told numerous times) and he just thinks its funny, he will hit and throw a fit when he don't get his way but at times he can be so sweet and caring. my son has a lot of those symptoms on that site as well!
    TatymMommi

Comment by TatymMommi (original poster) at 3:55 PM on Feb. 9, 2013

• Normally once the child starts school most doctors are comfortable diagnosing ADHD. The first thing the doctors will ask is everything okay at home and if any major life events have occurred recently. The behaviors in your last post seems more like attention seeking, but I would talk to pediatrician at your next appointment and in the mean time you can use the following test to evaluate whether or not he might have ADHD or something else. www.nichq.org/...adhd/03VanAssesScaleParent%20Infor.pdf

amandajoy21

Answer by amandajoy21 at 4:19 PM on Feb. 9, 2013

• My dd was diagnosed in 3rd grade. The first thing I have to say is that bad behavior doesn't automatically mean ADHD. Second, it's better to have your child tested by a psychologist/psychiatrist not only for ADHD, but for other possible reasons for this behavior. They are more likely than a pediatrician to work on trying to rule out many different types of behavior issues.
    anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 4:37 PM on Feb. 9, 2013

my child is exactly the same.
    RayJess31206

Answer by RayJess31206 at 8:25 AM on Feb. 13, 2013

• Well today was his appt with his Pedi and the pedi said yes he does believe it is ADHD, but doesn't believe that the anger is, he does want to send him to a psychiatrist as well just to make sure that it is nothing more... he has always been this way but i always thought it was just normal because he is the oldest and i just didn't know...
    TatymMommi

Comment by TatymMommi (original poster) at 12:35 PM on Feb. 13, 2013