If a Mother at your child's school said this to you..... what would you think?

I told this Mom I am having a "play date" in March and her daughter was invited. She said "Oh good because we don't eat meat and we have nuts all over the house so it woudn't be a great place for my daughter to go to" because my dd has a peanut allergy.....I said ok understanable......BUT, then I was really thinking about it after & it bugged me well why couldn't she make an effort to put stuff away also to have my child over? Idk what to think or I am over thinking it? its been irking me inside.

sarasmommy777

Asked by sarasmommy777 at 5:49 PM on Feb. 9, 2013 in General Parenting

• I think she just blurted out stuff. I don't think she meant it to be rude.
    3libras

Answer by 3libras at 5:52 PM on Feb. 9, 2013

• A friend of mine has a son who is severely allergic to peanuts. When she comes over and I am terrified that I did not clean well enough or something and her child will get sick because of me. This is a person I am close to. I am not sure I would want to invite over a classmate of one of my kids who is peanut allergic. At least with my close friend I know she will not sue me or guilt me or spread ill words all over the school about me. I do not think she meant anything by it. Just worded it poorly.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 5:57 PM on Feb. 9, 2013

• I would've said, "we have a bunch of nuts at our house too, but they're all related!" lol :p
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 7:00 PM on Feb. 9, 2013

• i think she just meant it as a much safer option
    luvmygrandbaby

Answer by luvmygrandbaby at 5:54 PM on Feb. 9, 2013

• I would take note not a safe place for my child to play. That's all. I really do not expect others to change their home for us. My child has a very specific diet and allergies. I simply bring food or his friends come here. If a friend had a nut allergy certainly I would make an effort to clean things away but with the warning that perhaps bringing prepared food will be safer.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 5:56 PM on Feb. 9, 2013

• Sounds like something I would say without thinking and then go home and think "I hope I didn't offend her when I said that".
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 9:22 PM on Feb. 9, 2013

• ^I agree^
    LostSoul88

Answer by LostSoul88 at 5:52 PM on Feb. 9, 2013

• I don't think she meant it to be nasty.
    funlovinlady

Answer by funlovinlady at 5:52 PM on Feb. 9, 2013

• I wanted to add that I am not saying you would do that- but if she is not close with you then she doesn't know that and it would be a bit scary to have your child's well being on the line in my home.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 6:03 PM on Feb. 9, 2013

• So if the mom had said 'Hey we want to have ___ over. We eat a lot of nuts in our home but I did my best to make sure all peanut and tree nut residue was cleaned up. ' You wold let her go or you would suggest a play date at the park... To me any home that is not peanut free is not safe enough. I know I can't peanut free the world but I can certainly be aware that a home with small children and peanut butter in it is bound to have the stuff in places even that mom is not fully aware of. It is a much higher risk than the park.
    Anonymous