Would you allow your kids to go to church even if you didn't??

Say if your parents went to church but you didn't and they wanted to take them would you let them??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:38 PM on Feb. 9, 2013 in Religion & Beliefs

• If I was living close to my mom and she wanted to take the boys Id let her. More power to her taking 3 crazy boys under age 9 to a church where quiet is not something they are known for LOL.

I wouldnt let them go all the time but maybe once or twice a month if they wanted to and my mom wanted to take them after that first time LOL.
    LadyAmaranth

Answer by LadyAmaranth at 12:56 PM on Feb. 19, 2013

• We are humanists (DH and I) and beleive that our children should learn about all religions and make their own choice. If I knew my parents would have the same openness then yes I would allow them to attend church with them. We attend a Unitarian Universalist church so they are exposed to all kinds of religions including the pagan groups that meet there too.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:17 AM on Feb. 10, 2013

• Depends on the age of the child really. Teens, yes. Under teen years. Probably not.

Answer by louise2 at 9:41 PM on Feb. 9, 2013

• Only if I did not follow another religion
    virginiamama71

Answer by virginiamama71 at 9:45 PM on Feb. 9, 2013

• Yes, as long as the grandparents weren't judging me for not attending or telling the kids I should be going.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 12:25 AM on Feb. 10, 2013

• I let my dd go with my uncle, but I won't force her to go. There have been days when she hasn't wanted to go, so she doesn't.
    BTW, I am a Pagan and feel that I should educate my kids about all the different religions and then let them decide.
    -Ashley
    spiritguide_23

Answer by spiritguide_23 at 9:43 AM on Feb. 10, 2013

• I think the dynamic involved (in someone wanting to take my children to church) would be the most important consideration for me.

"Allowing my kids to go to church" even if I don't attend is not necessarily the same as allowing someone to take them, considering that there's the issue of how they were introduced to the possibility, as well as how old they are.

I do respond to my children's lead or initiative about attending church or services, including following up on interest they express or supporting them in finding answers. I think I would be open to them attending with someone else (such as what you describe) but I am interested in honoring their freedom & choice, and I'm aware that for some people or in some religious practices, proselytizing would be a significant factor or element. I wouldn't be open to this, and then to "allowing" any expressed wishes or preferences that came up as a result of that influence.
    girlwithC

Answer by girlwithC at 12:25 PM on Feb. 10, 2013

• My kids have the wonderful experience of attending many different types of church services growing up. We allowed them to attend with their friends and they had some great experiences, DD attended may services with her friend the Rabbis' son, my DS attend gatherings with his HS buddy a Buddhist. I took them to VBS at a Southern Baptist church. We allowed them to go to Catholic mass with their Grandparents. They have attended Pagan/Wicca gatherings with their Aunt, it has helped shaped them into the people they are today. I have always taught them that their spiritual path is theirs to find and my job was to expose them to many ideas of what others believe and from that they can make their choice. (Both are Humanist as adults)

emptynstr

Answer by emptynstr at 11:27 AM on Feb. 11, 2013

• Yep, my mom takes my son to church occasionally. He loves it and I see no reason why he shouldn't
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 9:38 PM on Feb. 9, 2013

• Yes, if my child wants to go to church I would not deny him that.
    JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 9:44 PM on Feb. 9, 2013