Do you believe in pre-destination?

pre·des·ti·na·tion [ pr destə náysh'n ]   
advance decision by God about events: in some religious beliefs, the doctrine that God, a deity, or fate has established in advance everything that is going to happen and that nothing can change this
God's decision who goes to Heaven: in some religious beliefs, the doctrine that God decided at the beginning of time who would go to heaven after death and who would not
act of foreordaining: the human or supposedly divine act of deciding the fate of people or things beforehand

I think that sometimes I do then I get all caught up in questions. So really, I do not know.

booklover545

Asked by booklover545 at 10:04 PM on Feb. 9, 2013 in Religious Debate

• no
    Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 10:04 PM on Feb. 9, 2013

• Nope
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 10:09 PM on Feb. 9, 2013

• sort of, kinda
    I believe every moment in your life is leading up to this moment Right NOW!
    i.e.
    I had baby
    after baby I developed an allergy to NSAIDs
    my allergy caused me to read all labels

teen took a shower and used up all the hot water

SO went down thinking he was having an anxiety attack and tried to take a hot shower to relax

Because there was no hot water his macho BS was put on the back burner and he talked to me more about what he was feeling. I recognized a possible heart attack and because I read all labels knew migraine med had aspirin

So you see, if I hadn't of had baby and teen hadn't of taken a shower, he probably would have died (according to cardiologist).
    feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 10:13 PM on Feb. 9, 2013

• To a certain extent. I believe G-d has a plan, but I also believe in free will. It's a tough question, one of theology's hardest, but this is, for me, one of the best explanations:

http://www.chabad.org/library/article_cdo/aid/3023/jewish/The-Paradox-of-Free-Choice-Six-Questions.htm
    momto2boys973

Answer by momto2boys973 at 10:19 PM on Feb. 9, 2013

• Yes
    virginiamama71

Answer by virginiamama71 at 10:30 PM on Feb. 9, 2013

• no...whats the point to living if everything is pre-decided without you having any say? why worship a God thats already decided you weren't good enough for heaven? why worship a God thats decided some ppl get abused and some die of horrible long battles with diseases?

predestination is something ive thought a lot about and just does not fit into any logical spiritual situation for me. sure, our actions today effect our lives tomorrow, but i dont think that has anything to do with God.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 11:07 PM on Feb. 9, 2013

• confusing
    sunshine196

Answer by sunshine196 at 11:19 PM on Feb. 9, 2013

• No I do not.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 11:23 PM on Feb. 9, 2013

• where's prissy?
    predestination could be a form of karma?
    things are placed in your path so that you may learn and become a better person?
    feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 11:25 PM on Feb. 9, 2013

• No.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 11:28 PM on Feb. 9, 2013