Do you believe in pre-destination?

pre·des·ti·na·tion [ pr destə náysh'n ]   
advance decision by God about events: in some religious beliefs, the doctrine that God, a deity, or fate has established in advance everything that is going to happen and that nothing can change this
God's decision who goes to Heaven: in some religious beliefs, the doctrine that God decided at the beginning of time who would go to heaven after death and who would not
act of foreordaining: the human or supposedly divine act of deciding the fate of people or things beforehand

I think that sometimes I do then I get all caught up in questions. So really, I do not know.

booklover545

Asked by booklover545 at 10:04 PM on Feb. 9, 2013 in Religious Debate

• Pre-destination? No
    I chose every path I took in life, whether good or bad.

I don't believe it was pre-determined.
    PMSMom10

Answer by PMSMom10 at 11:42 PM on Feb. 9, 2013

• No, I do not.
    alf2651

Answer by alf2651 at 11:47 PM on Feb. 9, 2013

• No, I think the actions we choose in this life have an impact on our next life.

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 4:42 AM on Feb. 10, 2013

• No God= No predestination based on "God's" plans
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 8:09 AM on Feb. 10, 2013

• Hell no! How can anyone with a logical mind believe god already decided things about their life? Makes zero sense.
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 8:38 AM on Feb. 10, 2013

• No, though because I do believe in only heaven, not hell, you could say yes on a technicality, if that makes sense, lol ;)
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 9:36 AM on Feb. 10, 2013

• (meaning only that I do believe we all go to the same place. I don't believe God preordains anything that happens IN our life, just where we'll all end up, since there's only one possibility IMO) ;)
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 9:37 AM on Feb. 10, 2013

• No, but I do believe that God knows what we will do and has planned accordingly. His plans and our free will co-exist. He has plans for our lives since He made us and knows what gifts we have better than we do and wants us to develop those gifts and also since He made us He knows what will make us the happiest. However we have a choice whether to allow His guidance and to follow His plan.
    HHx5

Answer by HHx5 at 9:41 AM on Feb. 10, 2013

• No, I don't believe in 'predestination'.

However, I'd contend that those who believe in the Abrahamic god must, simply because a god that's omniscient and omnipotent would, by definition, know everything that has happened, that is happening, and that will happen, and has the power to change anything.

Sometimes, though, it's fun to imagine that god sitting upon his throne, reading one of those books that were popular years ago - the ones that had different endings, depending on the choices the reader makes.  Either way, endings have been chosen, with only a bit of determination on the part of the reader.  Of course, being God, he would have to have created that book in the first place, so he'd already know the possible endings, and how to achieve them.

jsbenkert

Answer by jsbenkert at 12:01 PM on Feb. 10, 2013

• Yes I believe in predestination. what good or bad thing happens in this world is within ALLAH'S knowledge from eternity and occurs with HIS will.HE has predestined every goodness and badness with HIS eternal and ancient knowledge and all HE wrote that So what is in HIS knowledge and written with HIM is called predestination. Pray is only thing that can change some destinations.
    kity-bity

Answer by kity-bity at 1:20 PM on Feb. 10, 2013