Do you believe in pre-destination?

pre·des·ti·na·tion [ pr destə náysh'n ]   
advance decision by God about events: in some religious beliefs, the doctrine that God, a deity, or fate has established in advance everything that is going to happen and that nothing can change this
God's decision who goes to Heaven: in some religious beliefs, the doctrine that God decided at the beginning of time who would go to heaven after death and who would not
act of foreordaining: the human or supposedly divine act of deciding the fate of people or things beforehand

I think that sometimes I do then I get all caught up in questions. So really, I do not know.

booklover545

Asked by booklover545 at 10:04 PM on Feb. 9, 2013 in Religious Debate

• No.
    Nos4

Answer by Nos4 at 1:28 PM on Feb. 10, 2013

• 3libras

Answer by 3libras at 2:33 PM on Feb. 10, 2013

• Yes I believe in predestination. what good or bad thing happens in this world is within ALLAH'S knowledge from eternity and occurs with HIS will.HE has predestined every goodness and badness with HIS eternal and ancient knowledge and all HE wrote that So what is in HIS knowledge and written with HIM is called predestination. Pray is only thing that can change some destinations.

And you worship a being that has predestined the rapes and slaughter of women and children, the loss of life, dignity, home and security?  You worship a being that not only knows this will happen, but is the cause of it?  Who does it, in spite of the avid prayers of the faithful?

Wow.

jsbenkert

Answer by jsbenkert at 4:17 PM on Feb. 10, 2013

• No. I believe we have free will to determine our own paths.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 8:32 PM on Feb. 10, 2013

• Back when I was a Presbyterian, I did.
    anng.atlanta

Answer by anng.atlanta at 12:29 AM on Feb. 11, 2013

• I believe in a form of pre-destination. I believe that certain points in our life are written out or choosen ahead of time, but the path to get to those points are left open. It's kind of an "All paths lead to the same end" kinda deal with me.
    -Ashley
    spiritguide_23

Answer by spiritguide_23 at 12:38 AM on Feb. 11, 2013

• jsbenkert, it is a very sensitive topic.
    Firstly, Most of you believe in Mayan prediction in which it is stated that world came to an end on dec,21 2012, right. This was just framed by an ordinary human being, then why you believe on it. It was just a prediction, not fate.
    Secondly, When an engineer manufacture a machine, he issues a guarantee about machine and you have to trust on it, why?
    This universe is belong to ALLAH, HE knows everything badness or goodness that occurs in universe, and HE wrote all that, then why you don't believe on it. ALLAH has given authorities to human being to choose the right path or evil path, it is now our responsibility to choose the right way.
    Anyway, I pray to ALLAH to lead you the right path. Ameen.
    kity-bity

Answer by kity-bity at 4:02 AM on Feb. 11, 2013

• Sorry, kity-bity, but I don't believe a word of what you wrote.  I also didn't believe the Mayan "prediction" that the world would end on that day, any more than I believed any of the other predictions.  And you're still stuck with the problem of believing in a god that not only knows everything that has ever happened, is happening (if you believe that, then you believe that he's watching women and children being raped and murdered at this very minute, not by their choice, but by your god's), and will happen, and has the omnipotence to change any of it, but chooses not to - because he's determined it will all happen according to his will.  Engineers don't manufacture machines, but if I did purchase one that's guaranteed, it means that if it doesn't perform to my satisfaction, I can return it for repair or refund.  I get no such guarantees from your Allah.

jsbenkert

Answer by jsbenkert at 10:51 AM on Feb. 11, 2013

• But, by all means, pray for me, kity-bity.  I welcome it. 

When you pray that your god leads me to the right path and nothing changes, we will have to arrive at one of three conclusions:  1) Your god does not feel that my believing in him is the right path - in other words, he doesn't really want my worship, 2) You're praying to the wrong god, or 3) There is no god that listens to or answers prayers.

I wonder which is the correct answer?

jsbenkert

Answer by jsbenkert at 11:06 AM on Feb. 11, 2013

• fate? Oh yes

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 11:14 AM on Feb. 11, 2013