Do you believe in pre-destination?

pre·des·ti·na·tion [ pr destə náysh'n ]   
advance decision by God about events: in some religious beliefs, the doctrine that God, a deity, or fate has established in advance everything that is going to happen and that nothing can change this
God's decision who goes to Heaven: in some religious beliefs, the doctrine that God decided at the beginning of time who would go to heaven after death and who would not
act of foreordaining: the human or supposedly divine act of deciding the fate of people or things beforehand

I think that sometimes I do then I get all caught up in questions. So really, I do not know.

booklover545

Asked by booklover545 at 10:04 PM on Feb. 9, 2013 in Religious Debate

• Yes and NO. I believe that those events which MUST take place in order for us to fulfill our life's purpose are predestined. But beyond that, No.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 1:23 PM on Feb. 13, 2013

• Thanks momto2boys973
    virginiamama71

Answer by virginiamama71 at 8:35 PM on Feb. 12, 2013

• So many non-believers wonder what's the purpose of prayer if you're not gonna anoy G-d enough to give in and give you what you want. Valid question. Prayers don't change G-d's "mind", or the ultimate plan. Prayers change US. The more we pray, the more we acknowledge G-d's existence and control and the more we accept His will. Therefore, we change, we grow spiritually and it may come to a point when something that would've been detrimental for us- like a large amount of money- becomes something we can handle without negative spiritual consequences. That's what prayers change- ourselves.
    momto2boys973

Answer by momto2boys973 at 6:39 PM on Feb. 12, 2013

• "Oh - and you have more competition in the prayer wars. Another Christian has begun praying that I'll start believing in her god. I'm on pins and needles waiting to see which one wins, or if it's all forfeited to logic and reason."

IMHO, that's a pointless prayer. G-d will not interfere with free will, even as a result of a prayer.
    Furthermore, some people (especially non-believers) have a misguided understanding of what "prayer" is. G-d isn't a genie, and prayers aren't rubbing a lamp. You can pray with all your heart for what you want, but if it's something that's detrimental for you, G-d won't give it to you.
    For example, I can buy my lottery ticket and pray to win it. But if having a large amount of money effortlessly will be detrimental for me, then I'm not gonna get it. Just as your child won't get everything they want simply because they asked.

Continued...
    momto2boys973

Answer by momto2boys973 at 6:35 PM on Feb. 12, 2013

• If it's all predetermined, why are they bothering to pray about it at all ?
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 3:51 PM on Feb. 12, 2013

• "You better watch out, you better not cry, you better not pout, I'm telling you why.  Santa Claus is coming to town."

From "Santa Claus is coming to town".

It's in a book, published and loved by many, and believed by many.  I'll believe in the words of your book when you believe the words of this one.

Oh - and you have more competition in the prayer wars.  Another Christian has begun praying that I'll start believing in her god.  I'm on pins and needles waiting to see which one wins, or if it's all forfeited to logic and reason.

jsbenkert

Answer by jsbenkert at 2:16 PM on Feb. 12, 2013

• Here are some more verses from Qur'an,
    He is ALLAH, there is no god but He, the knower of the unseen and the manifest, He is the most merciful, the most compassionate. He is ALLAH, there is no god but He, the king , the Holy, the all peace, the Giver of security, the overseer, the Most Mighty, the Overpowering, the All Great, Exalted be He from whatever they associate with Him. He is ALLAH , the Planner, Executer and fashioner of creation. His are the names most beautiful. Whatever is in the heavens and the earth extols His glory. He is the most mighty, the most wise.
    kity-bity

Answer by kity-bity at 12:50 PM on Feb. 12, 2013

• Honorable ladies spirit and jsb, It is not a serious matter that you believe in existence of ALLAH or not. Truth is truth either you believe or not.
    you exists, how can I believe, I've never see you.
    Here are some verses of Qur'an,
    Say, o unbelievers, I do not worship those that you worship, neither do you worship Him whom I worship. and nor will I worship those whom you have worshiped , nor are you going to worship Him whom I worship. To you is your religion and to me, my religion.

kity-bity

Answer by kity-bity at 12:34 PM on Feb. 12, 2013

• God(s) I think it's all the same presence. Religions have given different names for our maker but I like the idea of a female deity too.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 9:10 PM on Feb. 11, 2013

• I believe that we all are in God's plan, what we do to get there is the way it turns out...for the good or bad. I just keep telling myself that I have to keep doing the right thing, making the right decisions and teaching my goodness to my children so that they too do right in life.
    madmueller

Answer by madmueller at 9:06 PM on Feb. 11, 2013