Do you believe in pre-destination?

pre·des·ti·na·tion [ pr destə náysh'n ]   
advance decision by God about events: in some religious beliefs, the doctrine that God, a deity, or fate has established in advance everything that is going to happen and that nothing can change this
God's decision who goes to Heaven: in some religious beliefs, the doctrine that God decided at the beginning of time who would go to heaven after death and who would not
act of foreordaining: the human or supposedly divine act of deciding the fate of people or things beforehand

I think that sometimes I do then I get all caught up in questions. So really, I do not know.

booklover545

Asked by booklover545 at 10:04 PM on Feb. 9, 2013 in Religious Debate

• No, I don't believe in 'predestination'.

However, I'd contend that those who believe in the Abrahamic god must, simply because a god that's omniscient and omnipotent would, by definition, know everything that has happened, that is happening, and that will happen, and has the power to change anything.

Sometimes, though, it's fun to imagine that god sitting upon his throne, reading one of those books that were popular years ago - the ones that had different endings, depending on the choices the reader makes.  Either way, endings have been chosen, with only a bit of determination on the part of the reader.  Of course, being God, he would have to have created that book in the first place, so he'd already know the possible endings, and how to achieve them.

jsbenkert

Answer by jsbenkert at 12:01 PM on Feb. 10, 2013

• 3libras

Answer by 3libras at 2:33 PM on Feb. 10, 2013

• no
    Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 10:04 PM on Feb. 9, 2013

• Nope
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 10:09 PM on Feb. 9, 2013

• no...whats the point to living if everything is pre-decided without you having any say? why worship a God thats already decided you weren't good enough for heaven? why worship a God thats decided some ppl get abused and some die of horrible long battles with diseases?

predestination is something ive thought a lot about and just does not fit into any logical spiritual situation for me. sure, our actions today effect our lives tomorrow, but i dont think that has anything to do with God.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 11:07 PM on Feb. 9, 2013

• No God= No predestination based on "God's" plans
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 8:09 AM on Feb. 10, 2013

• No.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 11:28 PM on Feb. 9, 2013

• Pre-destination? No
    I chose every path I took in life, whether good or bad.

I don't believe it was pre-determined.
    PMSMom10

Answer by PMSMom10 at 11:42 PM on Feb. 9, 2013

• Hell no! How can anyone with a logical mind believe god already decided things about their life? Makes zero sense.
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 8:38 AM on Feb. 10, 2013

• Yes I believe in predestination. what good or bad thing happens in this world is within ALLAH'S knowledge from eternity and occurs with HIS will.HE has predestined every goodness and badness with HIS eternal and ancient knowledge and all HE wrote that So what is in HIS knowledge and written with HIM is called predestination. Pray is only thing that can change some destinations.

And you worship a being that has predestined the rapes and slaughter of women and children, the loss of life, dignity, home and security?  You worship a being that not only knows this will happen, but is the cause of it?  Who does it, in spite of the avid prayers of the faithful?

Wow.

jsbenkert

Answer by jsbenkert at 4:17 PM on Feb. 10, 2013