What is RSV??

What r the Symptoms??

apeclark2008

Asked by apeclark2008 at 4:52 PM on Feb. 14, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• RSV usually presents like a cold, but can become real bad real fast. It usually comes with all the cold symptoms and wheezing. It should def be treated by the doc, and if it is bad enough they will hospitalize. I hope this helped some.
    coala

Answer by coala at 5:19 PM on Feb. 14, 2009

• hmmm... well my daughter got RSV around 7 months old maybe... it seemed like a normal cold at first, but she started weezing... I think that was the first thing that made me take her to the doctor... they gave her an inhaler and then ended up giving her a nebulizer to take home. I can't remember how long it lasted, but I just remember the weezing being the first sign that it wasn't a normal cold.
    emilyschildcare

Answer by emilyschildcare at 5:00 PM on Feb. 14, 2009

• It's a nasty cold virus that heads downhill pretty quickly at times.

When my boys had it, they were 3, 1 and 5 weeks. The baby ended up in the PICU, but the older two...well, it just seemed like they had a bad cold. It doesn't get horrible for all kids who have it. In fact, by the age of two, most kids have had it and the parents didn't even know it!

If the baby gets a bad cold, just watch for difficulty breathing and at the first sign (sucking of the ribs, flaring of the nostrils, blue lips or nail beds) get them in to a doctor.

There aren't really any symptoms that mean it IS RSV....they actually have to test for the virus. And it passes like a common cold, too.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 5:38 PM on Feb. 14, 2009