What would you do if a coach said to your teen child - "go jump in a swimming pool of razor blades".

This coach said that to someone at my daughters school. I don't know if anything is going to happen to him.

booklover545

Asked by booklover545 at 10:19 PM on Feb. 9, 2013 in Parenting Debate

• What? That is inexcusable no matter what the situation is! This is a teacher! It should be brought up to at least the counselor in the school. Even if the coach was having a bad day, it still is not something they should say with all that is going on with schools and life lately
    madmueller

Answer by madmueller at 11:23 AM on Feb. 10, 2013

• Wow. He would be sorry. Very sorry. Very, very sorry. School better take care of it because I can find out where he lives.....
    AllAboutKeeley

Answer by AllAboutKeeley at 8:54 PM on Feb. 10, 2013

• I don't say the comment is acceptable. We do not know anything about this situation and yet all of you are up in arms and protecting this child , who is almost an adult. High school sports are something else and locker room talk is brutal, but it means nothing to anyone.
    I am not saying I would dismiss it but, I would sure want to know what the "victim's" part in this whole story is before I pass jusdgement and sentence him to whatever.

Maybe this is part of what is wrong in this country.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 2:20 PM on Feb. 10, 2013

• After kicking his ass from here into next week, I wouldn't settle until this asshole lost his job.
    Nos4

Answer by Nos4 at 1:34 PM on Feb. 10, 2013

• Wow. I guess the short answer is that I would follow up on it.

Sounds like the culmination of what was very likely an unpleasant encounter/situation, so I'm sure it would be a big drag to work through. (Likely a big problem with my child's behavior or responses would be part of the story.)
    My thought upon hearing about this comment is that this coach doesn't have the emotional regulation I would like to see in a teacher, or else there is a serious load of stressful extenuating circumstances (that would shed light on or contextualize, rather than "excuse," the dismissive, condemning exclamation.)

Do you know anything about the context at all? Was your daughter present, or has she just heard the story that it happened?
    girlwithC

Answer by girlwithC at 11:05 AM on Feb. 10, 2013

• I am not condoning the behavior...BUT...have you been around HS or competitive sports recently. That comment seems, sadly,  mild to me and I have heard worse from parents. We (the general we) have gone off the deep end with competitive athletics. By the time a kid is competing at the HS level reason has gone out the window. Spent 15 years with 2 kids in highly competitive sports, saw and heard things that just make your skin crawl. From a parent removing a child's cast so they could wouldn't be "ejected" from a game, to a coach that tied kids feet together so they would "learn" the proper stroke.

It is time that parents stood up to this kind of behavior but not many will..just look at the new hit shows...Dance Moms, ?Cheer, Toddlers & Tiaras.

emptynstr

Answer by emptynstr at 9:11 AM on Feb. 10, 2013

• Well my kid would have replied "I'd rather do that than spend another minute here with your sorry ass." Then I'd be called in to the principal's office where someone would have their sorry ass handed to them. I'd go all the way up to the top of the school board to get him/her fired or suspended without pay while s/he attended anger management classes or was evaluated by an out of district psychologist.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 8:03 AM on Feb. 10, 2013

• I'll kill him.
    kity-bity

Answer by kity-bity at 6:05 AM on Feb. 10, 2013

• How f***ed up is that? I'd want to know the details, but I can't imagine any reason such a thing should be said to a kid. My first impulse would be to walk casually up to that coach, then very quickly reach out, grab his nuts, and give them a hard squeeze while demanding an explanation. Once tempered with better judgment, I would still demand an explanation, more than likely in front of the principal or the school board.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 12:09 AM on Feb. 10, 2013

• I would like to know more about it too.
    virginiamama71

Answer by virginiamama71 at 12:03 AM on Feb. 10, 2013