What would you do if a coach said to your teen child - "go jump in a swimming pool of razor blades".

This coach said that to someone at my daughters school. I don't know if anything is going to happen to him.

booklover545

Asked by booklover545 at 10:19 PM on Feb. 9, 2013 in Parenting Debate

• What? That is inexcusable no matter what the situation is! This is a teacher! It should be brought up to at least the counselor in the school. Even if the coach was having a bad day, it still is not something they should say with all that is going on with schools and life lately
    madmueller

Answer by madmueller at 11:23 AM on Feb. 10, 2013

• He would be fired.

And then find himself in a shallow grave.
    FreeForAll

Answer by FreeForAll at 10:24 PM on Feb. 9, 2013

• I'd be furious if someone said that to my kid. Granted, I'd want to hear the whole story, but at the same time I don't see any conversation where that comment would be appropriate.
    alf2651

Answer by alf2651 at 11:44 PM on Feb. 9, 2013

• I would be SERIOUSLY pissed if it had been said to my kid. Especially since we were both cutters
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 10:22 PM on Feb. 9, 2013

• Coach would likely find himself thrown into a pool of razor blades.
    anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 11:04 PM on Feb. 9, 2013

• I would rather hear the whole story and not just a tiny bit of it.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 11:25 PM on Feb. 9, 2013

• How f***ed up is that? I'd want to know the details, but I can't imagine any reason such a thing should be said to a kid. My first impulse would be to walk casually up to that coach, then very quickly reach out, grab his nuts, and give them a hard squeeze while demanding an explanation. Once tempered with better judgment, I would still demand an explanation, more than likely in front of the principal or the school board.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 12:09 AM on Feb. 10, 2013

• Well my kid would have replied "I'd rather do that than spend another minute here with your sorry ass." Then I'd be called in to the principal's office where someone would have their sorry ass handed to them. I'd go all the way up to the top of the school board to get him/her fired or suspended without pay while s/he attended anger management classes or was evaluated by an out of district psychologist.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 8:03 AM on Feb. 10, 2013

• Wow. I guess the short answer is that I would follow up on it.

Sounds like the culmination of what was very likely an unpleasant encounter/situation, so I'm sure it would be a big drag to work through. (Likely a big problem with my child's behavior or responses would be part of the story.)
    My thought upon hearing about this comment is that this coach doesn't have the emotional regulation I would like to see in a teacher, or else there is a serious load of stressful extenuating circumstances (that would shed light on or contextualize, rather than "excuse," the dismissive, condemning exclamation.)

Do you know anything about the context at all? Was your daughter present, or has she just heard the story that it happened?
    girlwithC

Answer by girlwithC at 11:05 AM on Feb. 10, 2013

• I would tell DH and that would be the end of THAT!
    tessiedawg

Answer by tessiedawg at 10:23 PM on Feb. 9, 2013