Mommy watch me!

Is all my 3 year old girl wants to do. Tell me this over and over. Does not stop until I do it. Every five seconds.

Normal?

Please tell me this passes quickly. I would like to look away at some point.

staciandababy

Asked by staciandababy at 1:33 AM on Feb. 10, 2013 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• It lessens with age, usually.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 1:35 AM on Feb. 10, 2013

• Yes, it's very normal, especially at 3

musicmaker

Answer by musicmaker at 1:37 AM on Feb. 10, 2013

• It hasn't passed yet, and my daughter's nearly five. And my eyes don't even work! I pointed that out to her the other day, and she said well, just watch me with your back eyes then. (I've told her that my front eyes are broken, but the ones in the back of my head still work fine, which is why I know what she's doing when she thinks I don't.)
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 1:45 AM on Feb. 10, 2013

• Yeah, it is normal, my son still occasionally does this and he is 7. Of course he is an only child so yours might actually grow out of it as the baby gets older and can pay attention to the older one.
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 1:52 AM on Feb. 10, 2013

• Yes, very normal. My 4 year old is the same way.
    alf2651

Answer by alf2651 at 3:16 AM on Feb. 10, 2013

• I think it's normal, but I do encourage my 3yo to do her own thing. At three she does less of this than my 13 yo SD who was not encouraged to be independent and still needs a witness for all things!
    tessiedawg

Answer by tessiedawg at 8:41 AM on Feb. 10, 2013

• Their need to be seen is pretty strong. What you describe sounds normal.
    As a word of encouragement, keep in mind that having her try to address her feelings/needs in "direct" ways (rather than indirectly "acting them out" in aggressive or off-track behavior) probably is ultimately more desirable to you, if you were to choose options consciously!
    What do you typically say when you're "watching"? How do you usually respond (or are you pretty literal and you just look, rather than interacting further?)
    I ask because how you respond/what you "do" when you are "seeing" them can sometimes make a difference in how this plays out. Some things subtly reinforce a focus/reliance on parental evaluation. But the need to be seen is a fundamental one, and meeting it readily & abundantly is an important foundation of self-esteem or positive self-worth, so something normal is happening when a 3 yo cries "Mommy, watch me! Look at me!"
    girlwithC

Answer by girlwithC at 10:44 AM on Feb. 10, 2013

• I hope so. My 3 yr old son does it too. He actually gets my face between his hands and says "wook (look) at me, mama, wook at me."
    mommy_jules

Answer by mommy_jules at 12:14 PM on Feb. 10, 2013

• I say "I am watching you " then I say what she is doing.
    staciandababy

Comment by staciandababy (original poster) at 1:26 PM on Feb. 10, 2013

• Mine does that, then shows off her dance moves.
    3libras

Answer by 3libras at 2:10 PM on Feb. 10, 2013