Black Beans

I made black beans and rice for dinner. My boyfriend said the beans looked awful. He could hardly stand to eat them because of the way they looked, although he said they tasted okay. I've heard black beans are very nutritious. Is there a way I can make them that would look more appetizing and maybe get my famly used to them, or should I just forget the idea?

Ballad

Asked by Ballad at 2:20 AM on Feb. 10, 2013 in Food & Drink

• I like to cook black beans then add sauteed diced green and red peppers, onions and garlic ( plus a little cumin,oregano and paprika) and serve it over rice rather than mixing them together.

I have also made black bean burger patties but it has been a while since we no longer have a blender. Those were a big hit.

seasoned black beans mashed and baked work GREAT for soft tacos.

They are also good added to chili or a lot of different soups.

Black beans and small red beans are the only ones my family will eat!
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 9:44 AM on Feb. 10, 2013

• Sorry, I'm of no help. I hate black beans, but here is a bump. :)
    PandaGwen

Answer by PandaGwen at 10:05 AM on Feb. 10, 2013

• What does looked awful mean? Color, were they mushy looking? Black beans are great. If he doesn't like them as a side you could blend them into chili or a salad or casserole.

Answer by admckenzie at 4:15 AM on Feb. 10, 2013

• Oh! We have also made BBQ beans out of them. Adding BBQ sauce, onions, brown sugar, vinegar and mustard. Sometimes we add smoked paprika or bacon.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 9:45 AM on Feb. 10, 2013

• You can always use pinto or canellini in beans and rice if it's more appetizing to him. They're not that nutritionally different from black beans. And you can always "hide" the black beans in veggie burgers, just Google "black bean burgers" and you'll get great recipes. Also, you can Madge them and make rice and bean burritos. Use black beans for chilli, they're not as obvious there.
    momto2boys973

Answer by momto2boys973 at 9:53 AM on Feb. 10, 2013

• I forgot, you can also make black bean brownies. I know, it sounds weird, but they're amazing. I think Melissa D'Arabian had a good recipe on the food network website, but there's many recipes on the web.
    momto2boys973

Answer by momto2boys973 at 9:57 AM on Feb. 10, 2013

• I saw Paula Dean make this on the food network channel one day and it looked so good I had to make it! So I took black beans and made it and I tell you it was awesome! http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/paula-deen/bean-cake-sandwich-recipe/index.html
    Just try it, you may or may not like it, it was something my husband didn't say no to !
    madmueller

Answer by madmueller at 10:37 AM on Feb. 10, 2013

• Make chili, I just won 2nd place in a chili cook off at work and I put black and red beans in it. In stead of using ground beef I used venison. It is very good and lean.
    RedDahlia82

Answer by RedDahlia82 at 1:02 PM on Feb. 10, 2013

• I made chicken black bean quesadillas. Super easy, and it tasted great in there.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 2:33 PM on Feb. 10, 2013

• I had a black bean soup at a restaurant once that was awesome! and I don't like black beans. Maybe you could try to make soup?
    musicmaker

Answer by musicmaker at 2:34 PM on Feb. 10, 2013