Private school

I just moved to a new area and my daughter is in a daycare that has a preschool program and pretty happy with it but not really feel it's really the right place for her. Never really felt that way but I had to put her some place and they provide food for her. Anyways, She will be in kindergarten sept 2014(I know I have a year and half) but I was just looking up information about private schools because I don't know the area and where they are located. Well, I found one that offers 3-4 junior kingarten program. the school goes up to 8th grade and it looks great and I want to go for a tour and see if it's the right place for her. I want her to go some place that will enrich her mind in different ways. It seems like a really good school community. It has small student to teach ratios and there is finicial aid available. So I am going to set up an appointment to see the school and take a tour. Anyones experience with private school. not catholic ect. I went to both public and catholic school growing up and ofcourse I feel the education I recieved at the public school was better I am not apposed to private school. I mean my hs was good education but the junior high area of my education was not that great. anyways, I want more for my daughter and I just wanted some feed back.
Ofcourse, I wont rule out the local public school because I have heard good things about them also.
thanks.

lambdarose

Asked by lambdarose at 10:04 AM on Feb. 10, 2013 in General Parenting

• well, she came from an in home daycare setting to a daycare/preschool. The daycare she is in now has only like 6 kids in her class but she goes to other classes before care and after care so she does interact with more children at a time. I like the small class setting and that it seems what the this private school offers. it's only 10 children per teacher. I think the junior kingergartens it's even less. and then I think the higher grades it's 16. Which is not much but I live in a small town so it might be about the same. I will wait and see and ask alot of questions when the time comes. I might move her in september or for kingergarten. but I don;t want to do so many changes in one year because we just moved and she is still adjusting. Heck i am still adjusting.
    lambdarose

Comment by lambdarose (original poster) at 3:28 PM on Feb. 10, 2013

• We currently send our son to a private school because the educational approach is very different than a traditional classroom setting for the specific type of school we chose. There is nothing wrong with public school in my opinion. I just thought it was not a good match for my spirited child. Next year we will try public school after five years in a private setting. Only because our district now offers the same program but in a public school. If it doesn't work then I am thankful we had the opportunity to try and the financial resources to return back to his former private school. When it comes to schooling I think the right fit can come in any form. It really is about what your child will benefit the most from.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 2:37 PM on Feb. 10, 2013

• I went to a public montessori school (k-8) and a college prep private school for part of high school (9-10) and then a public high school the last 2 years of high school.

I live in Texas. I got more out of 2 years at private school than I did in the majority of my educational career. I left the private school because the social aspect was very difficult for me to adjust to.
    shesliketx

Answer by shesliketx at 1:22 PM on Feb. 10, 2013

• It is good, in general, to feel like you have options. So it is really nice that you do. And the one you mention sounds positive, so that's even nicer! Good luck.
    girlwithC

Answer by girlwithC at 12:32 PM on Feb. 10, 2013

• Thank you. I am going to visit them and even if she does not go this fall I am going to consider it for kindergarten . It seems more interactive and they have classrooms with mix ages ect and I think its more hands on learning. Again, I have to go see first.
    lambdarose

Comment by lambdarose (original poster) at 12:01 PM on Feb. 10, 2013

• P.S. The fact that the school you're considering offers a preschool option might mean you could switch her into a program that feels better to you than her present daycare situation right now, or this fall. (You may need before/after school care if you do so, depending on your childcare needs, what options the private school offers, and whether or not their "junior K" is essentially a daycare option.)

For me, a big factor would be the focus/approach of the two programs. For example, I wouldn't be looking for an "academic" emphasis at that age, so a private school offering a preschool program with a heavily academic focus wouldn't appeal to me over a more play-based environment. But you have to go with your own values & what matters to YOU! So consider if the other program works logistically (the hours) & then compare your options. You also could research early childhood learning & development to help inform your assessment.
    girlwithC

Answer by girlwithC at 10:30 AM on Feb. 10, 2013

• We have a good public school that is rated well, test scores are good, people seem to love it, etc. but we send our daughter to a private school. It is a matter of educational philosophy & approach, not that the public school is too "bad" or something. The school we chose is a match to our progressive education ideals, and in its values, policies & practices it supports her growth/learning in ways we love & want. (A big part of this is their explicit recognition & implicit honoring of how children learn best/most meaningfully from life & from doing, rather than from being instructed or "taught." This recognition is born out in their operations, and in their focus, such as their emphasis on descriptive observation rather than evaluation.) So....I definitely see the potential value of a private school (the potential value of ANY school, for that matter) and I think you'll be best served by visiting & hearing more from them.
    girlwithC

Answer by girlwithC at 10:18 AM on Feb. 10, 2013