Teen marriage

My 16 year old daughter wants me to give her consent to marry her bf. He is 17 they have been together for two years, I told her no that she is too young to marry I told her to wait until she is done with high school and then college and then I will support her fully in her decision. Thoughts? Opinions?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:09 AM on Feb. 10, 2013 in Teens (13-17)

• My dd married right out of high school, I wish she would have waited. I would never consent to an underage marriage.
    funlovinlady

Answer by funlovinlady at 10:13 AM on Feb. 10, 2013

• You are right! Please do not give in!! At 17 they find their "true love" again, and again..and again! They have not even experienced life, and the wonderful things that will come their way. I have had friends who got married and regretted that they got married so soon, and had kids so soon..that they didn't get to expererience LIFE! Lord knows how much we had to go thru ourselves to get where we are today...and unless they both have wonderful jobs, their own cars, an apt. with furniture...they will be living with you or his parents for the next many years....
    madmueller

Answer by madmueller at 10:18 AM on Feb. 10, 2013

• I'd say that has a 99% failure rate

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 10:20 AM on Feb. 10, 2013

• Well the only thing you can do is not consent to it tell her 18th birthday. After that she can do what she wants. Even if she didn't finish highschool.
    See I would not consent to it either. And I would inform her that if she decides to marry at 18. They better have a place of their own. Because you are not staying here.

Answer by louise2 at 10:21 AM on Feb. 10, 2013

• No I wouldn't consent to that. I know there's only so much you can do but I still wouldn't sign the papers.
    RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 10:35 AM on Feb. 10, 2013

• Though I dont think you should consent either, I just want to say that I only dated one person all through high school(started dating him when I was 15) and we got married at 19. Im now 26 and still happilly married. Im just saying that it is possible to find your true love at that young.
    Lobelia

Answer by Lobelia at 10:40 AM on Feb. 10, 2013

• I think you need to remind her that she'll need finances to pay for her home and bills once she's married because when you get married you move out of your parents' home. Does either of them work at all? How much savings does she have? Sit down and show her the budget and the bills for your home and ask her how she's going to manage to deal with that.
    winterglow

Answer by winterglow at 10:49 AM on Feb. 10, 2013

• Tell her if she waits till she graduates college and she still wants to marry this same boy, you will pay for half of her wedding. What are the real chances of them staying together? More then likely they will break up when he lives high schools and she still has another year to go.
    LostSoul88

Answer by LostSoul88 at 10:55 AM on Feb. 10, 2013

• I would not consent to it and would let her know that if they are truly in love then they can wait until they are both legal to get married. I started dating my now ex husband when I was a freshman in high school (he was a sophmore) and we waited until I was 21 to get married (together the entire time) and ended up divorced within 6 months because he got someone else pregnant. Turns out he had been cheating all along with various women I just was oblivious.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:08 AM on Feb. 10, 2013

• Lobelia, You are still young(26). No all, but most young marraiges do end badly.

Answer by louise2 at 11:22 AM on Feb. 10, 2013