Teen marriage

My 16 year old daughter wants me to give her consent to marry her bf. He is 17 they have been together for two years, I told her no that she is too young to marry I told her to wait until she is done with high school and then college and then I will support her fully in her decision. Thoughts? Opinions?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:09 AM on Feb. 10, 2013 in Teens (13-17)

• I'm a teen and a parents, as well. I couldn't imagine being married right now. At that age, you're still discovering yourself. I wouldn't support it.. I'd at least tell my kids to wait til after high school, and even then I wouldn't be thrilled. I was raised being told that young marriages don't last..
    MalaenasMommy

Answer by MalaenasMommy at 12:37 AM on Feb. 14, 2013

• Troll? Maybe. Maybe not. She's a lot calmer than my father was when I told him we were getting married.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 4:07 PM on Feb. 10, 2013

• Troll. I'm just saying

"thoughts? Opinions?"
    Mrs_Prissy

Answer by Mrs_Prissy at 3:51 PM on Feb. 10, 2013

• I would want them to wait until they finish high school.
    virginiamama71

Answer by virginiamama71 at 3:36 PM on Feb. 10, 2013

• I went to school with a girl who dropped out of school, got her GED and married at 16, she had a baby by 17. I often wonder if she is still married. We all thought she was crazy.
    musicmaker

Answer by musicmaker at 3:03 PM on Feb. 10, 2013

• People grow apart. Often. At 16 you don't even know who you are, so how can you share that with someone? They are so young that they can wait, a marriage certificate won't change anything.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 2:33 PM on Feb. 10, 2013

• When I was in high school, a friend of mine got married the summer between her Junior and Senior Year. She wasn't pregnant. Her husband had already graduated from college and had a full time job. She found it difficult to take on the responsibilities of a wife and be in school. She complain a lot and didn't seem real happy. I heard they separated a year or two after she graduated because she found it even harder to go to college with all the responsibilities she had.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 12:45 PM on Feb. 10, 2013

• My best friend got married at 16. She is now 31 and is still happily married. My MIL and FIL got married when they were 16 (mil) and 18(fil). They will be celebrating their 33rd wedding anniversary this year. I got married at 19 and my husband and I will be celebrating our 11th anniversary this year. I am not saying that you should consent (I wouldn't), I am saying that I wouldn't discount their love and seriousness for each other. I would encourage your daughter and her bf to finish school and work with them on planning a budget to show them that the real world is more than just paying for rent and food. Also, while none of the marriages I listed above were due to pregnancy, could it be a possibility that you daughter is pregnant?

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 12:39 PM on Feb. 10, 2013

• why would any mother consent to that?
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 12:31 PM on Feb. 10, 2013

• I think you did the right thing telling her to wait til she graduated. Where would they live at 16 while still children? With you? No. How would they go to school and work to pay for their own home? If they want to get married at 16 then that means they plan on still loving eachother at 18, if they can't wait 2 years, then they aren't ment to be together. I was married at 19, we were together for 4 years, now we have been married almost 8 years, so it can work, but she needs to at least be an adult first.
    cassie_kellison

Answer by cassie_kellison at 12:29 PM on Feb. 10, 2013