Is there any going back once a car has been traded in for a new one?

My husband and I are seperated and he took our car. On Thursday he traded it in for a new on in his name only even though I was a co-buyer on the other one. Is there anyway I can get my car back or is it too late?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:10 PM on Feb. 14, 2009 in Shopping

• You usually have a week to get it back, but you may have to talk to the dealership, he may have to put down extra money or you may have to pay to get it back. Never seen a situation like that.
    coala

Answer by coala at 5:13 PM on Feb. 14, 2009

• I didn't think it was possible to trade in a car without BOTH buyers signatures. My husband and I both had to sign to trade ours in. I'd call the dealership and ask. Maybe he forged it. . . Anyway, it wouldn't hurt to ask!
    sarah3-CO

Answer by sarah3-CO at 5:14 PM on Feb. 14, 2009

• nope. If the title was in his name he 's the one with the rights.
    krazyash023

Answer by krazyash023 at 5:25 PM on Feb. 14, 2009

• it wasn't paid off, we were both buyers though
    Anonymous

• If the title read Joe AND Jane......then it needs both signatures, however most people's say Joe or Jane and it only need ONE person to sign it over.
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 9:53 AM on Feb. 15, 2009

• What did the title Say And or.. That's A Start. Another is to call the Dealership & explain. Stand up for your Rights & Everything! I'm Sorry this has Happened to you! I hope it can Work out! That's Crap*!! Start nice with the Dealer & then Be Strong & last of all threaten... Nicely .. Lawfully.. Maybe " A Bad" Name may be more costly to him then letting you get it Back?? Best of Luck to You!!
    Angellinda

Answer by Angellinda at 11:07 AM on Feb. 15, 2009

• I agree, first if your name is on the title too, then you should start by contacting the the dealership and letting them know what happened. If they can possibly help you that would be the easiest way to go. If that fails, and it is really that important to you to get your car back, I would look into consulting a lawyer over the matter, but once again that is probably only going to work if your name is on the title too. POSSIBLY if your name is also on the auto loan.
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 1:37 PM on Feb. 15, 2009

• Thank you all, we didn't have the title yet since it wasn't fully paid off but it was on the title work we had and it is registered to me. I've spoken to the salesman but he was supposed to have the finance manager get back to me. It just seems like bad business to not even call me to make sure I was ok with it. He also upgraded our cell phone package w/o my consent but I got that reversed.
    Anonymous

• If the title that the bank is holding has YOUR name on it, then legally, YOU are required to sign before that car can be traded. The dealership never should have taken it in without your sig on it. They probably just took his word for it since the title wasn't there to actually see. Its your car if its in your name. If his name is on it as well, you will either have to work it out or go to court. Don't let this go. Fight for your vehicle if you can pay for it. Especially since you are starting life as a single person. The less debt youre in...the better. Tell them you want it back and do not sign anything. Good luck.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 10:26 AM on Feb. 16, 2009