Can you have the flu without the diarrhea/vomit stuff?

I haven't left my bed since Thursday. I have horrendous aches and chills and fever that just will not stop. Is this flu or just a bad virus? Not heading to the doctor because I'm hydrated.

Asked by jeanclaudia at 2:21 PM on Feb. 10, 2013 in Health

• vomiting and diarrhea ARE NOT part of influenza,which is a respiratory disease
    Stomach viruses like the Norovirus cause those symptoms

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 3:22 PM on Feb. 10, 2013

• Whenever I get the flu it's mostly fever, body aches, cough, sore throat, headache. I don't get diarrhea or vomiting, I just feel like death warmed over.

Answer by Izsarejman at 3:32 PM on Feb. 10, 2013

• Sounds like flu to me. I have had it before without diarrhea or vomiting. Hope you feel better soon.

Answer by kmath at 2:30 PM on Feb. 10, 2013

• Well, yeah, you can. There are certain types of flu. Not every type causes vomiting and/or diarrhea. You should probably still contact your Dr. and talk to them though. Maybe it's something that is going around in your area, more so than any where else. They can tell you.

Answer by m-avi at 2:31 PM on Feb. 10, 2013

• That sounds more like influenza, which is way different than gi bugs that are typically called "flu".

Answer by idareyou at 3:47 PM on Feb. 10, 2013

• It is not just flu or fever. You should have to contact your doctor.

Answer by kity-bity at 2:25 PM on Feb. 10, 2013

• Yes, I was only nauseous during the night when my fever went up. No diarrhea. Hang in there, drink plenty of fluids & rest as much as you can. Take Advil every 4-6 hours if your fever goes up. Hope you feel better soon :(

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 2:39 PM on Feb. 10, 2013

• Okay, thanks ladies. This is really kicking my butt. I hope my kids don't get it.

Comment by jeanclaudia (original poster) at 2:43 PM on Feb. 10, 2013

• Yes I had one for about 2 weeks

Answer by LostSoul88 at 2:44 PM on Feb. 10, 2013

• im with kmath

Answer by san78 at 2:45 PM on Feb. 10, 2013