Do you think that people know when they are going to die?

Is seems as if my dad knew that he was going to die. The summer I turned 19 years old, I was living about 3 hours away from him and I was missing him alot. I called and asked him to come visit me. I couldn't go visit him because I didn't have a car. Anyway, a few days later he did. That whole evening he hugged me the whole time. He stayed talking to me, giving advice, and he even told me that the only thing he asked of me was that I never lost my faith. As he was leaving, I walked him to his car and he was hugging me so tight that I remember feeling as if I was choking. Then he told me that he "loved me with all his heart". That night he died of a heart attack.
Later when I met up with my sisters, they said that a few days before, he had told my brother-in-laws, their husbands, to take care of his daughters (my sisters) and he had given my sisters a big kiss on their foreheads (which he had never done before.)

bellasrose71008

Asked by bellasrose71008 at 5:11 PM on Feb. 14, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• awwww this just made me tear up- but I truely believe alot of people know (if they aren't in denial) that they are going to die!
    krazyash023

Answer by krazyash023 at 5:15 PM on Feb. 14, 2009

• Yes, I do believe that in certain situations or with certain people they know when they are going to do. My husband's grandfather had to have open heart surgery in November. They put him in a nursing home for a few weeks until he had enough strength to go back home. It was on December 10, he was having a really good day. He ate well, his vitals were great, and he had improved strength, but he kept saying how he was ready to go. We took it as he was ready to go home. After visiting with him, we went out to eat and then came back. We ran into the nurse who said he had just finished eating a good dinner and he had ate about 80% of his meal. By the time we got to his room he was already gone. I really do think that he knew he was going to die that day.

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 5:17 PM on Feb. 14, 2009

• I agree with Krazyash023. I do believe that people know when they are gonna die. Maybe they don't realize that's what it is but maybe thier body and spirit does. Interesting to think about. I am sorry you had to go through the pain of your dad dying.
    mndpfff

Answer by mndpfff at 5:22 PM on Feb. 14, 2009

• thanks. It was actually about 15 years ago. I am pretty grateful that things went the way they did. It really feels as if he told me good-bye.
    bellasrose71008

Answer by bellasrose71008 at 5:29 PM on Feb. 14, 2009

• My mother did. We were on vacation when she was killed in a car accident, and the day before it happened, she said she'd never see a certain place again. About 24 hours later, she was gone. Years later, I was talking to some of her old friends, and they told me that she said she wouldn't be coming back from that vacation.

Some people just know but don't say anything in case they're wrong but make things right in case they are.
    rhope4

Answer by rhope4 at 5:39 PM on Feb. 14, 2009

• My mother in law knew. she asked to go back to San Francisco to see her favorite places one more time. then after word she had her fall and ended up in Hospital. 2 days after Christmas she died... on her husband's birthday . She was in hospital for 2 months. I think she knew she was never going home. Christmas eve we went and celebrated what turned out to be last time together. She asked me when going back to her room to carry her purse and nurses wheeled her back before I left... without thinking and something I never did before. I kissed her good bye on the forehead. I think I KNEW as well. I never forgot that experience!
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 6:38 PM on Feb. 14, 2009

• Yes, I do.
    I dont think you can know it long before but I think there is a peace and sense of it happening a short time before it comes.

Ive known several people who knew and said their goodbyes or would say things that made their family wonder and a few hours later...they were gone.
    BonesDragonDew

Answer by BonesDragonDew at 6:52 PM on Feb. 14, 2009

• Yes they do. Not the first story I've heard like this one. Won't be the last.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 8:14 PM on Feb. 14, 2009

• Yes, I believe that some people have an intuition about it. When my grandfather died he spent his last few days tying up his loose ends... he sat down with me and told me everything he wanted to say, he did the same with my mother and his remaining siblings. He died a day later. He knew that he was terminally ill but he was expected to live for several more months at that point- but it seemed that he knew differently.
    Another intuition- his sister was not planning to come and visit him for a week or two, but two nights before he died she had a dream about him- she dreamed she went to the house and rang the bell and my grandmother (long since deceased) answered. She asked for my grandfather and he came to the door, and she saw that he was young again, as was my grandma. When she woke up she felt strongly she needed to see him that week- she made her visit the day before he died. Strange but true!
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 8:40 PM on Feb. 14, 2009

• Yes, I believe we can sense when our time to die has come.
    naturescape

Answer by naturescape at 10:55 PM on Feb. 14, 2009