Her choice to take a shower

Do I force my 9 yr old to take a shower or do I let her wallow in her own stink?

She is old enough to take a shower by herself and I get tired of arguing about it. She is home schooled so its not like she goes out very much but when we do I make sure that her hair is brushed and stuff I won't let her visibly go nasty. I just braided her hair and showed her the mound that came out on the brush hoping that its enough to say "this is what happens when you don't wash or take care of your hair" she said " I'll take a shower next time

wifey000175554

Asked by wifey000175554 at 3:22 PM on Feb. 10, 2013 in Tweens (9-12)

• You MAKE kids shower
    Do you let her choose whether or not to brush her teeth too?

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 3:23 PM on Feb. 10, 2013

• Even though she may not leave the house everyday she still needs to maintain her cleaniness. Just keep reminding her and everything else does not happen until her shower is done.
    virginiamama71

Answer by virginiamama71 at 3:23 PM on Feb. 10, 2013

• You're her mother. You make her take a shower. Good grief, this is your job as a parent
    Mrs_Prissy

Answer by Mrs_Prissy at 3:25 PM on Feb. 10, 2013

• I would say 'Nothing else can happen until you take a shower. First we take a shower then play then we have dinner. The family is not going to wait for you because we all finished what we needed to do before dinner. It is your choice what you want to do today. But nothing else can happen today until you finish the shower and are clean.

and I would stick by it. If all she did was sit at the table until bed time- so be it.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 3:25 PM on Feb. 10, 2013

• It can not be her choice to take a shower or not... You gotta put your foot down and show her who's boss or she will try to walk all over you
    LilJenn82

Answer by LilJenn82 at 3:26 PM on Feb. 10, 2013

• She is only 9, she doesn't get to choose whether or not she takes a shower. You make her take one, no matter how inconvenient that might be to you, that is your job.
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 3:28 PM on Feb. 10, 2013

• 9? Granddaughter is 9 and I'm not entirely sure of what her choice would be, if given.... You're the mom, no matter what age, you are STILL the mom. You make the rules, NOT them. You force the issue.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 3:30 PM on Feb. 10, 2013

• Does she have sensory issues? Does she have a reason for not showering? Maybe the shower spray is bothering her? Would she take a bath?
    musicmaker

Answer by musicmaker at 3:30 PM on Feb. 10, 2013

• There isn't a choice in this.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 3:33 PM on Feb. 10, 2013

• I would tell her no shower, stay in your room dont come out unless to go to restroom or shower, if you want breakfast or lunch shower and come down I will be happy to fix you some. When it is tiem for classes you may have a glass of milk and a pb sandwhich ( energy food) and while we study. When done you go back to your room. Stand by it, she wont starve, she will give into the shower if she is hungry.
    luvmygrandbaby

Answer by luvmygrandbaby at 3:36 PM on Feb. 10, 2013