Just curious. How often do you take your kids to the Ped? ER?

I have friends who it just seems like they are ALWAYS at the ped or at the Er with their kids for things I would never dream of taking them in for. My kids get yearly check ups and then maybe one or two sick visit a year- though I have called for advice a time or two more than that.

One friend of mine is in the ER right now with her 3 year old because his temp is 102.6
Another friend of mine just took her two kids to the Ped because they had a fever and a cough.
This same friend took her 13 month old to the ER because he was throwing up for 8 hours and 'not keeping any food down'

I guess I was just sort of wondering what the average was. Do you have a certain criteria for a trip to the ER or Ped?

For me they go the doctor if the fever and symptoms have lasted more than 4 days without getting any better. I do't go in for ear pain unless it last more than 4-5 days OR is unbearable pain that I feel it may need attention to prevent rupture. (Never happened)
The has only happened once between both kids and it was for stitches! Other than that I utilize the Peds after hours service for advice. If they said go tot he ER I would...but usually they assure me it will wait until morning and they give me some ideas to help the situation.

Where do you stand?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:44 PM on Feb. 10, 2013 in Kids' Health

• Pediatrician for well-check exams

my dd3 has been to the ER twice, once as a sick baby and once with pneumonia at 2 years old
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 5:47 PM on Feb. 10, 2013

• I try for once a year for their wellness check up but they do go about 2-3 more times if something is wrong
    ER, I brought my DS twice once when he was 6 months old and having trouble breathing, he had croup. The 2nd time was when he was just over a year, he's lips were blue and weren't getting any better. I never had to bring my DD.
    LostSoul88

Answer by LostSoul88 at 5:47 PM on Feb. 10, 2013

• See that all sounds reasonable to me! lol. I just don't understand the constant trips...
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 5:48 PM on Feb. 10, 2013

• once a year for wellness check up... maybe once a winter if they I think they have strep... ER... never.
    Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 5:49 PM on Feb. 10, 2013

• I take them for their checkups at the beginning of the school year if they are due for shots. I take my oldest son every few months to keep his medication current. I take my youngest son if he is having breathing problems, which has happened twice in the last 5 years.
    They have been to the ER for: a bad cut that needed to be glued, a few times for allergic reactions that needed steroid shots, and a scorpion sting that resulted in a two day hospital stay.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 6:50 PM on Feb. 10, 2013

• I have 5 kids, the oldest is 15 and we've been to the ER twice - once when my 15 yo fainted and once when my then 3 yo was having trouble breathing.
    My kids have yearly check ups and 1-2 sick visits/year or less. I take them if they have a fever for more than 2 days or vomiting/diarrhea for more than 24 hours.

Answer by missanc at 6:54 PM on Feb. 10, 2013

• Once a year for well child visit. Very rarely for anything else. My ex is more paranoid and wants to take him in constantly and I have to talk him out of it. He has gone to the ER 3 times. He busted his lip when he was 18 months and we thought he had bit through it and might need stitches. He didn't, just managed to bite both sides. Once at 23 months for a fever of 105 that wouldn't go down. Then friday we took him because he fell on his elbow and couldn't move it. Turns out it might be broken and he tore some cartilage. We will be going to the doc on Monday for that one.
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 7:09 PM on Feb. 10, 2013

• My children go for well visits and if they are really sick for days or they have croup.

My older one has been to the ER for the 'not being able to breathe right' croup reactions in the middle of the night and for a broken elbow (actually, he ended up in the trauma ward for that). My younger one has not ended up in the ER so far.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 7:10 PM on Feb. 10, 2013

• Ped - never, we don't have peds around here. Regular doctor - a couple times a year, give or take. When they really need to go.
    ER - only when it's a true emergency and it's after regular clinic hours or the clinic dr says go to the ER. Between 4 kids we've only been there a few times - when DS got hit in the face and needed stitches on a Saturday, when DD had a seizure at night and stopped breathing, major things like that.
    idareyou

Answer by idareyou at 7:16 PM on Feb. 10, 2013

• We have a family doctor and I take the kids in for their well child checks, which from age 2 onward is an annual physical.

I have gone in for another reason a few times over the years...when there were symptoms that were concerning to me (like, I was worried about Lyme disease for my daughter, which was confirmed with a blood test the day we left for a beach vacation, just because I called the doc with my suspicions & she sent us for bloodwork before we left town. And once my son was having poop accidents to the point that he seemed surprised/not to recognize the urge & I took him in to have the doctor check for an anal fissure, which she confirmed.) Our doctor has drop-in hours in the morning before her regular office hours so if a concern comes up, you can either make an appointment or drop-in to see her (before 8:30 a.m.) and I have done the drop-in for those kinds of issues.

I have never taken the kids to the E.R.
    girlwithC

Answer by girlwithC at 7:51 PM on Feb. 10, 2013