is it okay for baby to sleep on there side?

my son is almost 3 weeks old e doesn't like to sleep on his back he sleeps on his side is that okay for him to do that?

marcelina08

Asked by marcelina08 at 5:24 PM on Feb. 14, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• back in the day they used to tl you to put babies on their sides to sleep which i think makes more sense... when baby is on its back it can choke on its spit up and on the side its more likely to go out of the mouth instead of back down the throat..
    Anonymous

• Do you have a wedge that holds him in place? It's alright to do as long as you have a wedge, but I personally felt uncomfortable doing it until he was older and could lift his head up and turn over.
    Anonymous

• We had the exact same problem... It basically seemed like our son wouldn't sleep at all on his back, so we ended up letting him sleep in his car seat, which the nurses said is fine. Just until he's big and strong enough to lift his head if he needed to.
    Mindy418

Answer by Mindy418 at 5:30 PM on Feb. 14, 2009

• I let my daughter, and I'll be honest, I let her sleep on her stomach too. She knows how to roll over though, and lift up her head.(she's almost 3 months) I think its fine! As long as you feel comfortable doing it!!!
    wishwish

Answer by wishwish at 5:33 PM on Feb. 14, 2009

• It's okay. The AAP recommends against it now.

But then I just let my boys sleep on their tummies.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 5:35 PM on Feb. 14, 2009

• mindy, there was just something in the paper about letting babies sleep in a carseat... if their head gets tilted the wrong way the baby could die :(
    Anonymous

• Yes he can sleep on is side. Just make sure you alternate what side he sleeps on. Like if he sleeps on his left side for the first nap, put him to sleep on his right side for the second nap. It will prevent a flat spot on the side of his head.
    babyboomboom

Answer by babyboomboom at 6:15 PM on Feb. 14, 2009

• I let my son sleep whatever way he wanted to be honest. We co sleep too..he frequently laid on his side..which I prefered when he was suffering from a big of reflux. I had him tilted a lot though.

Do what you think is ok.
    keyaziz

Answer by keyaziz at 6:24 PM on Feb. 14, 2009

• My daughter slept on her side when she was that young too. I'd put her on her back and she'd go to her side. I asked her pedi if it was alright. She said it was fine but rotate which way to lay her down so her head won't get flat on the sides. She's 6 months and still loves to sleep on her side.
    Anonymous

• i think it is fine for them to sleep on their side. i let my son do it all the time because he has a real bad spit up problem. if a baby sleeps on their back to much it can make their head lopsided it did to my neice now she has to wear a helmet to fix the problem!

lilAshsmommie09

Answer by lilAshsmommie09 at 8:57 PM on Feb. 14, 2009