How did term Black start anyway?

my child is 5.5

her teacher said they are not really doing anything for black history month
i asked as i am presenting an artwork each month and this month it is an artwork by an African American woman and it has black history theme

so i am just presenting as artwork- that is fine

my daughter describes people as shades of brown
she has never used terms- white or black when it comes to skin color
do not think she has heard this
and i think it is a wonderful way to look at the world

how did term Black start anyway?
people can be very dark brown, or very light, but no one is black or white

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:57 PM on Feb. 10, 2013 in Politics & Current Events

• LOL My DD says brown as well...
    Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 7:06 PM on Feb. 10, 2013

• It was the civil rights activists who pushed calling them black, instead of Negro or colored which were acceptable terms up until the 60s. Personally, I don't see anything wrong with calling someone black, it depends on the context. I have never had any friends of mine get upset at being called black, as long as someone was using it for clarification and not in a derogatory manner. It also doesn't bother me if people call me white. I obviously have SOME color to me (although not much!), it's just a way to distinguish one person from another.

Answer by missanc at 8:52 PM on Feb. 10, 2013

• I don't know, it was well before my time.
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 7:05 PM on Feb. 10, 2013

• layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 7:07 PM on Feb. 10, 2013

• Have you ever seen a true African?  They are close to black.   We seen some true Africans in Italy.  They were black, at least clost to it.

Answer by louise2 at 7:22 PM on Feb. 10, 2013

• My 5 yr old daughter always says light brown, brown, dark brown, light, peach, which is technically correct, she's never said black or white yet, as to her those colors are literal as in the way you see them in a crayon box, we have an African guy that works at a cafe near us, he is extremely dark and she didn't even refer to him as black, she said he was really really dark......it will come in time when society catches on.
    Princess_s21

Answer by Princess_s21 at 8:27 PM on Feb. 10, 2013

• My kids dont say anything. They have never questioned why their little friends are a different color. They go to school with a bunch of different nationalities.
    LostSoul88

Answer by LostSoul88 at 9:25 PM on Feb. 10, 2013

• I found this OP cause I also was wondering when and why many use the term black when refering to the black race, and I found a wikipedia info that was quite good and very through...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_people

Michigan-Mom74

Answer by Michigan-Mom74 at 1:02 AM on Feb. 11, 2013

• I've wondered that too. My girls have also not been taught to say "black or white" & will describe someone as dark or light or having brown or pale colored skin.
    3libras

Answer by 3libras at 7:08 PM on Feb. 10, 2013

• Seeing them, makes me wonder how much white, Asian and Native American, African Americans have in them.

Answer by louise2 at 7:24 PM on Feb. 10, 2013