New puppy....

so my parents surprised my kids & i today with a new puppy. lol surprise!! i am happy about it but it was definitely unexpected.

anyway i want him to be crate trained. he is 3 months old. he's in the crate as we speak and he is howling up a storm like somebody is murdering him. i was expecting it but is it mean to put him in the crate his first night? should i just bite the bullet and let him sleep with me? or if i give in will he never sleep in the crate?

obviously if he keeps the kids awake ill have to let him out because my oldest needs sleep since she's school age. im hoping he'll quiet down soon but idk what to do! i know he's tired because he's been playing all afternoon with the kids and everytime he's tried to sleep the action/noise has kept him up.

tnm786

Asked by tnm786 at 7:40 PM on Feb. 10, 2013 in Pets

• If you give in now he will never sleep in there! ( He might, but better to just get it over with first thing). If you arent in bed right now I would jest leave it open and let him wander in and out, put his food and water in there (only while awake, not when you are going to bed) this will make it like his den and he should feel more comfortable in there. I don't know how rowdy your kids are with him, but I would teach them that the kennel is a safe zone for the puppy and when he is in there they are not allowed to bang on the bars or try to pull him out, so he feels safe in there and not afraid of it.
    Good Luck tonight!
    cassie_kellison

Answer by cassie_kellison at 7:43 PM on Feb. 10, 2013

• I've had my puppy 5 weeks now. he howls anytime I go out of his vision of sight. He doesn't go potty in his create but unless I'm in the room or going to bed he will not stop. We tried collars and pet calm and nothing has worked. Especially the collars, he'll run the battery out in less than a day and those batteries aren't cheap.
    CEWarsop

Answer by CEWarsop at 7:44 PM on Feb. 10, 2013

• Ahhhh... I'm with you, I can't stand to hear them cry. However, I think you do have to start the crate training now. If you let him sleep with you, he'll never learn how to do otherwise. I'm sorry.....
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 7:44 PM on Feb. 10, 2013

• We adopted an adult dog who was not crate trained. He whined the first couple nights but now he loves his crate; it's his safe place.
    Tesserae

Answer by Tesserae at 7:46 PM on Feb. 10, 2013

• omg... my ears are bleeding! lol i think ill give it another 15 minutes (til 8) and then ill take him out. he didnt really have any time at all today to adjust to it. i put him in once and left the door open but he came right back out. he wasn't interested in it at all. maybe tomorrow i should work on getting him more comfortable in there and try again?
    tnm786

Comment by tnm786 (original poster) at 7:47 PM on Feb. 10, 2013

• I agree, be consistent about the crate. I've heard put a clock that ticks in or near the cage.

Answer by Bmat at 7:47 PM on Feb. 10, 2013

• Crate train him so you have no" puppy accidents" also when you stick him in for the night give him "special night-time" treats it worked great for my Greyhound.. Congrats on the puppy post pictures. :)
    liss05

Answer by liss05 at 7:47 PM on Feb. 10, 2013

• i get to work on leash training too, yay!! (sarcasm lol) he absolutely hated the leash today. and i did give in and let him roam free because i really wanted him to go potty outside.
    tnm786

Comment by tnm786 (original poster) at 7:48 PM on Feb. 10, 2013

• Do not... I repeat do not let him sleep with you unless you continue with it. When my dog was a pup I thought I was going to go nuts at how much he cried at night. This is what I did and believe me it works. I went to petco or petsmart and got a hollow femur bone. When I got home I filled it with creamy peanut butter. When I put him in the crate at night I stuck that in with him and covered the crate with a towel so he wouldn't see me walk away. He would just howl when he needed to go outside. It took him a bit, but we got there.
    Anonymous

• Have you tried putting a light blanket over the crate so he can't see? I have to do it with my puppy. It took a while for her to get used to everything and stop whining/crying. What we finally figured out helped the most was putting a ticking clock in with her and having a tough stuffed animal for her to snuggle with. We had a small radio playing too because we found out that's what she was used to.
    idareyou

Answer by idareyou at 7:55 PM on Feb. 10, 2013