Is accelerated reader accurate/effective?

We are considering a private elementary school for our son and they use the accelerated reader program. Is anyone familiar with it? Is it any good or effective?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:49 PM on Feb. 10, 2013 in General Parenting

• I hated doing AR because I topped out early and couldn't find enough books at the "right" level to meet points. For an average reader it is great, if your child reads more than a grade above their age it can get tedious/annoying. It didn't help that our school implemented it halfway through and all at once.
    preacherskid

Answer by preacherskid at 11:29 AM on Feb. 11, 2013

• I tok it in high school because I have always excelled in english and it ws highly effective for me. The more excelersted classes that he is interested in the better and he will learn so much more.
    Im-HiDdEn

Answer by Im-HiDdEn at 9:30 AM on Feb. 11, 2013

• It's okay. It just depends on how the school uses it. I have seen teachers tell students that they can't check out certain books because it needs to be an AR book or its not enough points, etc. as long as the child is reading, why does it matter what book they read- AR or not.
    JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 11:17 PM on Feb. 10, 2013

• My oldest uses AR. I'm okay with it.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 10:24 PM on Feb. 10, 2013

• Nope, they don't do it here in NM.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 10:05 PM on Feb. 10, 2013

• I like the AR program. My granddaughter has it in public school
    Mrs_Prissy

Answer by Mrs_Prissy at 9:38 PM on Feb. 10, 2013

• They do AR at my son's public school.
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 9:33 PM on Feb. 10, 2013

• Do they only do that in private schools now? I went to like 5 different public schools growing up and I always had to do AR.
    Hollyhock.

Answer by Hollyhock. at 9:21 PM on Feb. 10, 2013

• It's effective
    Anonymous

• Anonymous