Who cuts their dog's nails, who pays someone else to do them?

Is it worth it to have it done? My puppy's nails are mostly black, so it's extremely hard to see where the blood supply is. Vet tech said she doesn't think it's necessary yet, but we realized tonight one of her nails broke off - clean break but still kind of unnerving. So now I need to decide what to do! I'd have to bring her almost an hour to have them cut so it's a hard sell on if it's worth it to pay someone else to do it!

idareyou

Asked by idareyou at 9:16 PM on Feb. 10, 2013 in Pets

• I was never comfortable doing it. Hell I hate cutting my sons nails and I can see where to cut his. For me it was worth it. Not sure I would have wanted to drive an hour to get it done though.
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 9:19 PM on Feb. 10, 2013

• Personally I would pay someone else to do it when my Greyhound was still alive he has black nails and made them bleed so many times.You can also get one of these they work great and keep the nails smooth.

liss05

Answer by liss05 at 9:21 PM on Feb. 10, 2013

• If you walk your dog on pavement you won't have to worry. That's how I handle my doggie's black nails with really long quicks (even the vet made one bleed a bit!)
    tessiedawg

Answer by tessiedawg at 9:30 PM on Feb. 10, 2013

• No, the groomer does that. I would die if I hurt him.

He's actually getting groomed this week. Bath, shave, nails, teeth, ears, anal glands... The works. It's like a car wash!!!
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 9:30 PM on Feb. 10, 2013

• I only have cats, but I pay to have it done.

Answer by Bmat at 9:46 PM on Feb. 10, 2013

• We normally take them to the groomer because our one dog hates the nail clippers and the lady's at the groomers have all the right equipment and are more practiced so it is less traumatic and they are less likely to injury my animals.
    amandajoy21

Answer by amandajoy21 at 9:57 PM on Feb. 10, 2013

• One of my dogs goes completely psycho when anyone tries to cut her nails, so I do it while DH holds her.
    AllAboutKeeley

Answer by AllAboutKeeley at 10:28 PM on Feb. 10, 2013

• I don't feel comfortable doing it myself. My dog does not like us trimming her nails and keeps jerking her paws back and I don't want to hurt her. We take her to the groomer to have it done. It's funny though, she can't stand for DH and I to do her nails, but is an absolute angel for the groomer, lol.
    alf2651

Answer by alf2651 at 10:40 PM on Feb. 10, 2013

• It's super easy to do it yourself. If you have the dog laying on your lap facing away from you, since it is a puppy, just take a toenail clipper and come up from underneath and bring it out and clip... hold they paw firm and make it quick while comforting them. They tend to fight more with the front than the rear nails, start with the rear.... As they get older you will want to use a regular dog nail clipper.....

http://selfhelpdogtraining.com/wordpress/?p=236- this should help.

Relax, it gets easier with time. Just take the very tip off for starters. I used to take both of my dogs into the vet to have them done. I am so, so glad I have slowly gotten over the fear and am doing it myself. These are my babies and I didn't want to hurt them- I know how you feel. You can do it, google dog nail trimming for extra pointers and support.
    LeJane

Answer by LeJane at 10:48 PM on Feb. 10, 2013

• I don't do my dogs nails she pulls away each time. I take her to the vet and let them do it.
    I used to be the one who cut the claws of all the neighbors cats..it was so easy...
    madmueller

Answer by madmueller at 10:56 PM on Feb. 10, 2013