I dont have the energy for bedtime battles anymore

Bedtime was a stinking breeze for my three year old girl before I had the baby.

Now I am giving up. It is the same thing every night. Brush your teeth go to bed have a story turn on nightlight

Not anymore. Its kicking screaming fits before bed. Refusing to brush teeth. Demanding a different toy be in bed everynight.

Tonight she just got out of bed. Turned on the light and sat down at her desk to play with stickers.

Now I can hear her playing with her toys.

I am nursing the baby trying to get her to sleep. I dont even think I will say anything to the 3 year old.

She does not listen to a word I say.

staciandababy

Asked by staciandababy at 12:11 AM on Feb. 11, 2013 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Where's Daddy? Can you call for backup? Could it be she's rebelling against the fact that the baby gets nursing time, and Daddy could give her some snuggle time of her own since he doesn't have the plumbing to breastfeed?

Is it possible that if she sits quietly and plays with her stickers, she'll get tired and lie down on her own? If not, could you try something like, "Listen up. Because you got out of bed and started playing with toys when you were supposed to go to sleep, there will be no (insert favorite privilege here) tomorrow." Then don't say another word. Don't make her go to bed. Walk away. But stick by the no TV or ice cream or whatever you have taken away when tomorrow comes.

Good luck, Mama!
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 12:29 AM on Feb. 11, 2013

• That doesn't seem to work with her. I tried a sticker chart too and she didn't care. She was just standing in the hallway so I had to physically pick her up and put her in her bed. Which I Hate doing but when she doesn't want to listen she will just stand there and look at me not responding to anything I say.
    staciandababy

Comment by staciandababy (original poster) at 1:02 AM on Feb. 11, 2013

• Well I ended up letting my dd stay up until she passed out. Then I would I get up early, and make her get up early also. This went on for abut 2 days and she stopped. Or I would let her watch 1 cartoon of her choice, and when that was done she went to bed. It has worked quite well for almost 3 months. I am getting tired of Mickey Mouse and Little Einstein!
    Michigan-Mom74

Answer by Michigan-Mom74 at 1:16 AM on Feb. 11, 2013

• Ok. I should get her up earlier and give her more exercise.
    staciandababy

Comment by staciandababy (original poster) at 1:23 AM on Feb. 11, 2013

• Maybe it makes her mad that the baby sleeps with me.
    staciandababy

Comment by staciandababy (original poster) at 1:30 AM on Feb. 11, 2013

• Oh ya I bet....The green eyed monster is making an appearance! Well lets hope she treats her baby sister better then I did! lol And trust me, it wasn't nice......
    Michigan-Mom74

Answer by Michigan-Mom74 at 1:34 AM on Feb. 11, 2013

• So far so good. She loves her baby sister more than ever. But that doesn't mean she isn't handling the lifestyle changes well. If anything she loves her sister too much... cant leave her be at all. Always holding her hand. Kissing her cheek. You know after I put the baby down for a nap. Lol.
    staciandababy

Comment by staciandababy (original poster) at 1:40 AM on Feb. 11, 2013

• Hmmm. I wonder if you could somehow make sleeping in her own bed a real 'big girl' honor. Maybe you've tried already. When my daughter's nanna recently had a great grandson, my daughter started to be jealous because in addition to her toy box at Nanna's house, one appeared for the baby with his own things in it. My daughter wanted the crib, the baby toys, the whole enchilada. We got her off that by giving her a bottle for lunch, since babies only drink milk, and then Nanna made her favorite mac and cheese for the rest of us. Going back to babyhood got old real fast! She was gobbling down mac and cheese within three minutes, and baby toys were *not* for big girls.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 1:47 AM on Feb. 11, 2013

• Make sure she is getting enough one on one time with you during the day. Time when she has you all to herself. Sometimes kids go for the negative attention when they do not get enough positive attention. Heap on the praise too when she does things right. Get your significant other (if there is one) involved with these things too. One of our kids would not settle down at night because he simply did not need a lot of sleep, so we eventually let him look at books or have small toys in bed with a night light on. He eventually fell asleep. But we had no trouble getting him up in the morning either. GL
    silverthreads

Answer by silverthreads at 3:29 PM on Feb. 11, 2013