How many kids usually show up to a birthday party?

Half the kids you invite? Two thirds? More? Less? I know you have to count on everybody showing up, but I'm just wondering if there's a rule of thumb that's more realistic to what actually happens. I'm planning a fifth birthday party for a few of my daughter's preschool friends, plus two cousins and a neighborhood kid she sometimes plays with.

Ballad

Asked by Ballad at 12:46 AM on Feb. 11, 2013 in General Parenting

• Well, it really just depends.

For DD's 4th birthday party, we invited 3 of our friend's kids and 2 from tumbling...totaling 5 kids and 4 showed up.

For DD's 5th birthday party, we invited her entire preschool class, a couple kids from her tumbling classes, a couple of my friend's kids...totaling 21 kids and 11 showed up (4 from school, 2 from tumbling, 3 were our friend's kids, and 2 were siblings).

For DD's 6th birthday party, we did the same as the 5th (but this time 1st grade class)...totaling 28 kids and 8 showed up (4 from school, 2 from tumbling, and 2 were siblings).

For DD's 7th birthday party, we invited 5 of her closest friends and all 5 showed up.

Personally, I am DONE having parties for the entire class. You get too many YES RSVP's and then they don't show...or they don't even RSVP at all. Unless venue is unlimited guests, if you didn't RSVP a YES, then you aren't welcome...and don't count on a treat bag!
    AllAboutKeeley

Answer by AllAboutKeeley at 1:07 AM on Feb. 11, 2013

• It really depends on when it is and what else is going on and how early you invited them. I would guess 8 out of 10.
    I usually cally and see if they are coming our not.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 1:17 AM on Feb. 11, 2013

• Hmm. Murphy's law might suggest everyone will come and some will bring extra kids if you only plan for 12. Can you buy the treat bag crap and keep the receipts to return any extra? Hard call. I would say not everyone would come but I don't want you cursing me when 50 kids show up.
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 1:37 AM on Feb. 11, 2013

• Just went to one today, 4yo's bday, that is. The mom said she invited 12 and 10 came, but everyone rsvp'd. 8 were from DD's preschool class. The treat bags were from the place the party was held. Hope that helps.
    tessiedawg

Answer by tessiedawg at 1:42 AM on Feb. 11, 2013

• We had a bounce party for my Son. Only one child was sick & couldn't come. So all the other kids came & some Parents brought siblings too. We had about 4 extra kids. So we invited 15 & 18 or 19 kids came.
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 9:00 AM on Feb. 11, 2013

• Expect the best and prepare for the worse. When my neice she had her 5th birthday and no one showed up expect my parents, her parents a my grandmother... Heart broken little girl but she was young enough she forgot about it by then.
    Im-HiDdEn

Answer by Im-HiDdEn at 9:29 AM on Feb. 11, 2013

• That's the thing, I've got twelve treat bags planned. So the logical thing would be to invite twelve guests. I don't want someone to go without a bag, but on the other hand, I don't want eight of the damn things left afterward, either. I've been wondering if I should invite a few extra, since I'm paying for games for twelve and treat bags for twelve, and probably not everybody who is invited will show up or even call to RSVP.
    Ballad

Comment by Ballad (original poster) at 1:20 AM on Feb. 11, 2013