39 Weeks pregnant with first baby need help :(

I'm 39 weeks pregnant and nothing much is going on. I had some pain and cramps, a lot of pressure (like as if I had to go do number 2 really bad) and discomfort but no contrations came with it. I was still taken to the hospital because some of my mucus plug was discharged so I went ahead to see what was gng on. I got there and the midwife checked me and to my disappointment she said my cervix is still closed and long so the baby is not ready yet. She gave me an appointment for my 40weeks. What can't I do for baby to come earlier (before 40weeks) I'm tired and cranky. Sex and excercice sure isn't helping. What should I do and why is baby isn't making an effort of coming out?

MommyCaution

Asked by MommyCaution at 3:27 AM on Feb. 11, 2013 in Pregnancy

• The baby will come when they want to come out...they are stubborn like that, and is carried through the teens years as well...:)
    Michigan-Mom74

Answer by Michigan-Mom74 at 4:54 AM on Feb. 11, 2013

• I know you are tired and cranky, but the baby obviously needs more time. If you feel you need to do something, walking is a good choice.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 6:30 AM on Feb. 11, 2013

• 40 weeks is full term. Once that's come and gone you can start to look forward to baby coming. First babies generally (but not always) come later - meaning after 40 weeks.

Answer by missanc at 6:40 AM on Feb. 11, 2013

• You poor thing! The last few weeks are the worst! I know it's easy enough for me to say, but baby will come when he/she is ready :) so put your feet up and enjoy your last few days of peace.
    kylie_bob

Answer by kylie_bob at 7:24 AM on Feb. 11, 2013

• The discomfort won't last much longer, so be patient. All 3 of my babies came late, and each one of them slept all night at around 3 weeks of age. It doesn't get much better than that!! So rest up, take extra naps, and let that baby comes when he/she is ready!
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 8:47 AM on Feb. 11, 2013

• Baby seems comfortable. Don't be discouraged, things can happen very quickly for some.
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 10:01 AM on Feb. 11, 2013

• No reason for the baby to come out yet. He'll come out when he is ready.
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 12:35 PM on Feb. 11, 2013

• It's not up to you. It's up to the baby. Welcome to motherhood.
    PartyGalAnne

Answer by PartyGalAnne at 2:53 PM on Feb. 11, 2013

• You can't rush perfection! My middle and last baby came "late", 9 days past and 12 days past my due date. I remember thinking they would never come out. It's hard to wait...I know your anxious, uncomfortable and ready....but just a few more days and you'll be holding your baby. Take long naps, catch a movie go shopping, get your hair cut, whatever because after the baby comes, your needs quickly get moved to the backburner. Trust me, I would do just about anything for sleep in those early months. Good luck and congrats!
    khedy

Answer by khedy at 3:14 PM on Feb. 11, 2013

• The good news is your body is preparing for labor, but not quite ready yet. Due dates are estimates and can be off by two weeks either way. The last few weeks are always the worst, but it will not last for much longer. Enjoy getting some rest while you can.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 8:13 PM on Feb. 11, 2013