For the first time in 600 years, Pope resigns

Should he have taken the appointment in the first place?

Pope Benedict XVI to resign

Pope Benedict XVI has announced he will resign on February 28th, saying he no longer had the strength to fulfill the duties of his office.

NotPanicking

Asked by NotPanicking at 7:24 AM on Feb. 11, 2013 in Religious Debate

• I was actually thinking the same thing at first. But, it is possible that his health declined rapidly over the last several years due to the stress.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 7:30 AM on Feb. 11, 2013

• Yeah it is very possible that over time his health was in question.
    Jessplus31979

Answer by Jessplus31979 at 7:37 AM on Feb. 11, 2013

• I think it is wise of him to step down,he knows his limitations and he knows he can't fully carry out his duties.I am not Catholic and do not pay much attention to the Vatican,however the focus should be on all of what he has done and not what he has not.
    RobinChristine

Answer by RobinChristine at 7:46 AM on Feb. 11, 2013

• But, it is possible that his health declined rapidly over the last several years due to the stress.

That's just it - he had a stroke long before he became Pope, and was undergoing a lot of treatment for it already. It had already declined before hand.
    NotPanicking

Comment by NotPanicking (original poster) at 8:00 AM on Feb. 11, 2013

• I think it's highly suspicious that he's deciding to resign so soon after discovering the world of Twitter.  I think he's using his health as a respectable excuse, when the real reason is that he wants to see what else the cyber world has to offer . . .

devil mini

jsbenkert

Answer by jsbenkert at 8:25 AM on Feb. 11, 2013

• I was thinking it may be more to do with dirty little secrets uncovered when the household staff started leaking...
    NotPanicking

Comment by NotPanicking (original poster) at 8:28 AM on Feb. 11, 2013

• yesssssss
    FreeForAll

Answer by FreeForAll at 10:19 AM on Feb. 11, 2013

• I don't have the time this morning to read the article but I find it very odd!
    PMSMom10

Answer by PMSMom10 at 10:21 AM on Feb. 11, 2013

• He's a pedophile and I hope he has a great time burning in hell for ruining countless lives.

FreeForAll

Answer by FreeForAll at 10:22 AM on Feb. 11, 2013

• It does sound like he had a closet full of dirty little secrets.  That may be what's been eating away at his health, too. 

jsbenkert

Answer by jsbenkert at 10:44 AM on Feb. 11, 2013