Could you do a word fast?

Gateway Goddess: Looking at Lent through Pagan Eyes

A word fast is a period of time (day, week, etc) where you commit to "No TV, no Internet, no talking or singing, no books or writing unless on sacred or spiritual topics. "

NotPanicking

Asked by NotPanicking at 8:30 AM on Feb. 11, 2013 in Religious Debate

• I would really struggle with the "no reading" portion
    Mrs_Prissy

Answer by Mrs_Prissy at 10:10 AM on Feb. 11, 2013

• I was think no t.v no Internet yup but then you said no books or talking... I don't think so lol maybe for a day but that's it.
    skinnyslokita

Answer by skinnyslokita at 10:33 AM on Feb. 11, 2013

• I could and actually have as part of a religious task set for myself. I hadno idea it was a pagan thing, though. Not obviously throughout the whole of Lent.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 10:42 AM on Feb. 11, 2013

• yikes...little kids aside, no. i could benefit from no TV/internet, but no reading would mean no studying & i cant afford not to study.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 10:54 AM on Feb. 11, 2013

• I've never tried to do a real fast. I have had times in my life while I was still a student (wasn't married and had no children) where I would pour myself into scripture and couldn't stop myself. Now those moments are few and far between because of the day to day demands of family. I guess that is just an excuse, though, because I guess I could if I really wanted to even though it would be hard. What a beautiful thing to do for one's faith....... any faith. I believe this is the very argument Paul presented on being married or not being married as neither is sinful but being unmarried makes it easier to devote oneself to God in comparison with the responsibilities of being married and the demands on your time having a family.
    HHx5

Answer by HHx5 at 12:07 PM on Feb. 11, 2013

• I could do without the TV and internet except where it is required for my job. The no talking is something I couldn't do. With 3 little ones who are always falling, fighting, etc they want words of comfort not just being held.
    baconbits

Answer by baconbits at 12:10 PM on Feb. 11, 2013

• Nope, I couldn't do the no talking part. It is part of my job. I could do the rest of it though. As long as I could read some type of book and it wasn't during a time I had a test so had to study, then I could handle it.
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 12:25 PM on Feb. 11, 2013

• If the specified period of time was from 7:30a- 2:45p yes. All the kids are at school and hubby is at work.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 1:42 PM on Feb. 11, 2013

• No, not while caring for my children.
    3libras

Answer by 3libras at 3:12 PM on Feb. 11, 2013

• As a Quadruple Gemini...no
    MamaK88

Answer by MamaK88 at 7:02 PM on Feb. 11, 2013