Could you do a word fast?

Gateway Goddess: Looking at Lent through Pagan Eyes

A word fast is a period of time (day, week, etc) where you commit to "No TV, no Internet, no talking or singing, no books or writing unless on sacred or spiritual topics. "

NotPanicking

Asked by NotPanicking at 8:30 AM on Feb. 11, 2013 in Religious Debate

• Sure.  It's called a nap.

beeky

Answer by beeky at 7:12 AM on Feb. 12, 2013

• Nope. Between work and the kids... I think the older three would understand, but the younger one has too many issues. Her ADHD alone would drive me to the breaking point within five minutes.
    anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 9:33 PM on Feb. 11, 2013

• No, my heart wouldn't be in it.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 7:16 PM on Feb. 11, 2013

•  I hadno idea it was a pagan thing, though.

I can see how that would come as a surprise, but if you think about it, it probably shouldn't.  Easter, after all, is based on Pagan celebrations of birth and spring, and the idea of sacrifice isn't trade-marked by Christians, either - many religions of many cultures have felt the need to appease the gods or curry favor by offering sacrifices, whether bloody or otherwise.

jsbenkert

Answer by jsbenkert at 7:04 PM on Feb. 11, 2013

• As a Quadruple Gemini...no
    MamaK88

Answer by MamaK88 at 7:02 PM on Feb. 11, 2013

• No, not while caring for my children.
    3libras

Answer by 3libras at 3:12 PM on Feb. 11, 2013

• If the specified period of time was from 7:30a- 2:45p yes. All the kids are at school and hubby is at work.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 1:42 PM on Feb. 11, 2013

• Nope, I couldn't do the no talking part. It is part of my job. I could do the rest of it though. As long as I could read some type of book and it wasn't during a time I had a test so had to study, then I could handle it.
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 12:25 PM on Feb. 11, 2013

• I could do without the TV and internet except where it is required for my job. The no talking is something I couldn't do. With 3 little ones who are always falling, fighting, etc they want words of comfort not just being held.
    baconbits

Answer by baconbits at 12:10 PM on Feb. 11, 2013

• I've never tried to do a real fast. I have had times in my life while I was still a student (wasn't married and had no children) where I would pour myself into scripture and couldn't stop myself. Now those moments are few and far between because of the day to day demands of family. I guess that is just an excuse, though, because I guess I could if I really wanted to even though it would be hard. What a beautiful thing to do for one's faith....... any faith. I believe this is the very argument Paul presented on being married or not being married as neither is sinful but being unmarried makes it easier to devote oneself to God in comparison with the responsibilities of being married and the demands on your time having a family.
    HHx5

Answer by HHx5 at 12:07 PM on Feb. 11, 2013