Could you do a word fast?

Gateway Goddess: Looking at Lent through Pagan Eyes

A word fast is a period of time (day, week, etc) where you commit to "No TV, no Internet, no talking or singing, no books or writing unless on sacred or spiritual topics. "

NotPanicking

Asked by NotPanicking at 8:30 AM on Feb. 11, 2013 in Religious Debate

• I would really struggle with the "no reading" portion
    Mrs_Prissy

Answer by Mrs_Prissy at 10:10 AM on Feb. 11, 2013

• No, I'd never make it!
    PMSMom10

Answer by PMSMom10 at 9:44 AM on Feb. 11, 2013

• I could see doing without most of the electronic distractions for the sake of "clearing the air".  For spiritual reasons, or as a ritual, I wouldn't, simply because I balk at the idea of doing something for supernatural purposes.  That seems as distracting as the media itself.  In other words, I can imagine turning off the TV, the radio, staying off the computer for a period of time, just to be able to listen to the real world around me, and to feel a connection with it that is sometimes lost with the distractions of media noise.  But to do it hoping for some literally magical transformation, or hoping that some deity would use that silence to connect with me . . . seems silly, considering my world view.  Of course, like others here, I couldn't not speak.  My older daughter might understand, but my younger one with autism would not be able to deal with it.

jsbenkert

Answer by jsbenkert at 10:03 AM on Feb. 11, 2013

• nope not a chance I have children at home
    luvmygrandbaby

Answer by luvmygrandbaby at 8:35 AM on Feb. 11, 2013

• I would never do it because I would not spend a day not talking to my daughter (figuring there'd be no way she'd understand the reasoning behind it).

But yeah, I could do it if she weren't involved...but I'd likely just sleep all day! LOL
    AllAboutKeeley

Answer by AllAboutKeeley at 8:41 AM on Feb. 11, 2013

• Definitely not

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 8:42 AM on Feb. 11, 2013

• I was think no t.v no Internet yup but then you said no books or talking... I don't think so lol maybe for a day but that's it.
    skinnyslokita

Answer by skinnyslokita at 10:33 AM on Feb. 11, 2013

•  I hadno idea it was a pagan thing, though.

I can see how that would come as a surprise, but if you think about it, it probably shouldn't.  Easter, after all, is based on Pagan celebrations of birth and spring, and the idea of sacrifice isn't trade-marked by Christians, either - many religions of many cultures have felt the need to appease the gods or curry favor by offering sacrifices, whether bloody or otherwise.

jsbenkert

Answer by jsbenkert at 7:04 PM on Feb. 11, 2013

• Nope. For one, I have three kids who would go completely crazy if mom didn't speak up sometimes.
    Also, when I am stressed, I generally tend to sing either with the radio or to myself to calm my nerves. I would more then likely be a big ball of "F the world" if I had to go to long without music in my life all the time.
    -Ashley
    spiritguide_23

Answer by spiritguide_23 at 8:38 AM on Feb. 11, 2013

• For a day, perhaps.

Answer by Bmat at 8:38 AM on Feb. 11, 2013