ADHD Meds

DD has been on ADHD meds for almost a year now. It has worked very well for her helping her to better keep still, focus more, and pay better attention in school. We have always given 7 days a week and even through the summer, but I'm starting to think that we should hold off and just give during school days or days when she actually does need help to extra keep still/focus/etc.

She has her med check appointment this Wednesday and I was planning to talk to the doctor about it, but being it's a controlled substance and there are all these restrictions, how in the world would they write a script to give on school days and then as needed on non-school days?

I would worry about not getting enough to cover all those days, but yet I'm sure it's not exactly okay to be left over with a few at the end of the month either.

If you give only on those days where your child needs the extra help, how is the prescription written?

AllAboutKeeley

Asked by AllAboutKeeley at 8:38 AM on Feb. 11, 2013 in Health

• My son is on ADHD meds and I only give them to him during the week since they suppress his appetite and I feel like I need the weekends and summer to fatten him up. The Dr just writes the prescription for the whole month & so I just get it refilled when we run out.
    ABeaverhausen

Answer by ABeaverhausen at 8:45 AM on Feb. 11, 2013

• I have some "as needed" migraine meds. That's how it's written - take as needed, refill as needed until (whatever date) which is when I need to go back to the dr.

Answer by missanc at 8:49 AM on Feb. 11, 2013

• They write it as usual, and you just give the meds to the child as you feel it's needed: on school days, or on days when you feel she needs it. If you plan to not give it to her over the summer, he may not write a script at all during those months, or he may write it but tell you not to fill it unless you need to.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 9:01 AM on Feb. 11, 2013

• I don't know about ADHD meds but just make sure it wont screw with her system by only giving them as needed. I know when I was on anxiety meds I had to take them super religiously or else it would make me very sick even skipping one dose.
    maecntpntz219

Answer by maecntpntz219 at 9:36 AM on Feb. 11, 2013

• His prescriptions are just written for 30 days regardless. I give them when I know he needs them, always on school days and on the weekends if there is something important going on where I know he will have to behave or focus (like a taekwondo event). I just fill them when I am close to running out.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 10:48 AM on Feb. 11, 2013

• Scripts are written for 30 days. When you run out get it refilled.
    booklover545

Answer by booklover545 at 5:52 AM on Feb. 12, 2013